Simple Test Kit Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mound

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok - this has always bugged me about those test kits - (test tubes/ color charts) -you hold the tube up to the white background to get a reading - but, do you press it directly against the white or just hold it above? pressing it against the white always makes the color look brighter than holding it off the paper..

Hey mound,

Some kits tell you to hold the tube vertical and look through the top of the tube with the cover off next to the color chart. Others simply tell you to hold the tube horizontal against the card and compare it to the colors next to the tube. I like holding it horizontal best since I can see the colors a little better since I have the whole tube to compare with. In all the tests I always hold the tube AGAINST the white paper no matter the orientation of the tube.

I understand your confusion. I hate these tests. I have 20/10 eyesight, but when it comes to stuff like this, I am terrible at it. I really HATE having to mach colors since I am not that good at it. I would much rather have a digital meter test this stuff and then give me back a number...

digital meter test this stuff and then give me back a number...
Me too! I posted in another forum asking if there existed a digital all-in-one meter for pH, GH, KH, NH3, NH4, N02, N03 and salinity...

wouldn't that be cool, put in a drop of water, press a button and get an exact digital readout..

I know that they do have digital pH meters. They also have digital hardness GH/KH meters. But I don't think I have ever seen a digital Nitrate/Nitrite kit. That is not to say they don't exist....

IMHO, If there was a digital 'multi-meter' of some sort (all tests), we would catch our local LFS using it on occasion (since they do lots of water testing).

There are 7 well-stock, organized, 'modern' LFS within 45 mins from my house, but they all use the test tube/color chart testing kits.

Hopefully, one day...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems reading those @#$% tests! I am looking for a cheap pH electronic meter, I have seen them for around $60 online. Has anyone seen anything cheaper? I've also heard of awesome setups that constantly read pH, and when it gets too high a C02 system injects C02 to bring it down.

I've also heard of awesome setups that constantly read pH, and when it gets too high a C02 system injects C02 to bring it down.

PH controlled co2 systems are out there, but I don't have one on my high pressure co2 tank. just one more thing to screw up, at least in my case! The way they really work is to shut off the co2 if the ph gets too low (planted tank, nit-picky stuff)

Insofar as the all in one, measure all the water parameters device, I wish! I'm sure NASA could make you one for, say, 2.5 million!

I use a pH meter and it's so much easier than the test kit. No mess, no fuss. I don't know about the other tests though as you need reagent to get the colour change so it would still get messy.

The pH meter is so accurate: my test kit only goes to 7.6 (a nice blue too) and if you were relying on that only you would think the tank was ok. But the meter showed actual pH 8.3 8O

I rest my case.

Louise 8)

I have seen digital amonia testers on ebay... I have also seen the digital PH testers there too go for around 30.00US. I don't have any experience with these though... I would rather know how well/accureate they are before plunking so much money into things like that. I personally use the test strips... keep them away from moisture, and they seem to be more accureate than the drop tests. A little more expensive, but I think it's worth it to get a good reading, and know where my tanks stand, especially since I have two that are cycling. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom