Singapore/Wood Shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, it was an impulse buy LOL I couldn't resist those lil fans waving at me from the lfs tank.

I knew a little about them before buying them, but have discovered the little I know is about all there is (least on the web). There's not a lot of info out there.

Does anyone have any of these? Any tips/suggestions I should know about? All I do know is basic water parameters (6.8-7.4 Ph, 70-80s f temp, clean water w/low nitrates) and that a little iodine is needed for moulting. Other then that I'm stumped.

thanx madasafish, how big do they get? they look like they would make a nice addition too a well established comunity tank.

No idea whatsoever... I've seen them before, and read a little about them, but info on the web is scant.

Sorry!

thast always the case with some thing that is cool lokking and you dont see too often, you just cant find enuff info on them.

Heh tis my prob e-cat. I have read posts on other forums from people who own these guys, but theres very little documentation. Or rather, not a lot of documentation in english. There seems to be a ton of websites, but most of em are german; I only took spanish in school LOL

My guy looks pretty similar to the pic madasa posted. The one thing you can't see in that pic are the 2 front modified appendages. These guys don't have claws, rather they have 2 sets of fans; they kinda look like feathery hands and the shrimp spread their arms with those fans open, then bend em towards thier mouths and close the fans to bring food in. I read they get around 3 inches long; mine is about 1 1/2 inches right now.

I'll keep trying to update this thread as things go on for those who are looking for info; just not sure how much I'll have to add.

Thanx e-cat! You're awesome :)

I have the krib's website bookmarked from before; I seem to have a mirror vision of the centralpets one as well. Robyn's I haven't seen before tho; thats now part of the collection :)

I had one of these for a while. Also known as a bamboo shrimp, it only gets a couple inches long. If you really want to make it happy, but a plant of decoration or something he can climb on in front of the flow of your HOB. He'll go up there and spread his filter hands, stuffing them in his mouth every so often. I didnt use any iodine, and he molted at least a dozen times with no problem. Just make sure he has a place to hide so his new shell can harden, and hopefully you dont have any very nippy fish in your tank. Hope this helped.

Excellent; once he and the others are out of QT, they're going into a well planted tank. Should be plenty of yummies in there and plenty of places to hide *grin* No nippy fish; dwarf gouramis, cardinals (if they survive QT!), and otos, so he should be a very happy lil shrimp.

How long has yours lived btw?

Back
Top Bottom