Single Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaSteve1217

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,
Just recently picked up an angelfish who had some great colouring. He is the only one currently in my tank. Just wondering if you think it would be okay to keep him solo (read that they are better in pairs).
I'm more worried about my stocking issues and think 2 would be too many.

36 Gallon Bowfront:
10 Neon Tetra
8 Espei Rasbora (these maybe become food for him:banghead:, but they have been in tank for a while and he is small so hoping he stays calm around them)
2 German Blue Ram
7 Cory catfish

Small Angels do better in schools while larger Angels can do just fine alone. I suggest, if you see the fish staying in the back or acting overly shy and not feeding, I would rehome the Angel to a tank where more can be kept together.
There is another issue you may need to deal with however, if you add another Angel. Angels live in a hierarchy society so the more you have together, the less pressure any one fish will get from the "Leader" of the pack. The less you keep together, the more focus gets put onto the few other fish and this can cause damage to the other Angels. 2 Angels, that are not a mated pair, have just as much chance of beating each other as they do living peacefully with each other. Every Angel is different so there is no way to tell what YOUR outcome will be. It's, unfortunately, a "try it and see" scenario. That's just the nature of this fish.

Hope this helps (y)

Solo is fine. Just remember the older they get, the less they'll tolerate other angels.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've always kept angels solo and never seen a shy one. What piggies they are!

I've always kept angels solo and never seen a shy one. What piggies they are!
Not trying to pat my own back but as a professional breeder of Angels, I have raised over a million of these fish and can tell you, some will be better in schools, some it won't matter. All depends on the size of the fish, the size of the tank and the tank mates. When it comes to Angels, there is NO ABSOLUTE. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks for the help all! He already is swimming all over the tank and follows me where I am in the room
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom