Single large tank vs collection of smaller tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Which do people prefer? I was thinking of say 20-30gal vs 100gall.

Sometimes I see someone with 5 tanks and just think why not have one really large tank and be done with it! A big display tank can't be beat and bigger is always better.

Other times I think that a few different tanks would be nice. Ok, they would be smaller but you could do different tank setups for each one. A nice variety.

Interested in what others prefer. Do you like one really large tank or would you go with several smaller tanks (that sum to the same volume as the larger tank)?

I like the variety, if I put all my stock in one big tank I would most likely lose half in the first night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love having my one large 150. But I don't think I could stand it if it were my only tank. It's great to have and be able to throw large fish in but it seems like everything I like isn't compatible with anything else I have. That's where a variety of smaller tanks come to play. Though I wouldn't want like 20-30 gallon, maybe a collection of 55-75 gallons.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

small and large are relative 20-30 aren't big enough for me so I would have to go with 1 100 gallon. But I downgraded from a 125 to a 75 and 40b and I like that better. I like having multiple tanks to do different things in.

I choose a mix, a large tank and a few smaller ones. Many compatibility issues arise with many things and I will use my salt water tank as an example.

In my reef tank I have one of these guys

f002c876_nigertrigger.jpeg

The thing about them is that their main source of food in the wild is inverts. This includes snails, crabs, shrimp, clams, and a few others. With me having him it means that I can never keep them. In fact, since adding him i have noticed that during the day my entire cleanup crew has begun hiding and those that don't have gotten eaten.

So because of this fish that I love that means I can't own any of these

bloodRedFireShrimp3.jpg

or these

cook-island-maxima-clam-1.jpg

or these

feather_duster.jpg

Since i love all of the above, my only choice is to have another tank.

oh man miss my niger trigger so much. Can't wait to have a SW tank again.

Hi all' I have a 700l tank and am starting to wish I went that bit bigger as I feel it's an in between the small and big size tank! I like the little tanks / nano's I've seen some loverly ones but not for me personally I like to many things available I wouldn't be able to fit it all in one little tank lol. .... If I had a tank big enough and could I would keep a killer whale ? ;0). So my tank is about 700l is digital' has a sump ect ' vortech wave makers. Have been set up just over a year' in that year I've lost a fish through pop eye and ich ( my dory) :( And I think my zoa is on it's way out because I found a zoa eating snail on it grrrrr. Here's my tank. Look foreword to seing all yours ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421434721.966284.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421434760.750158.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bigger is better when it comes to tanks! I'm so glad I went with my 55 instead of a 40. There was only $10 difference in price, so I thought, why not? And now I'm so happy I did.

Ah that's good and I agree ? bigger the better' could u post a pic of your tank I love to see what others look like.

Bigger is better when it comes to tanks! I'm so glad I went with my 55 instead of a 40. There was only $10 difference in price, so I thought, why not? And now I'm so happy I did.

Honestly, I believe the 40 breeder tank is far far superior to a 55g. The 55g is very narrow which severely limits the aquascaping you can do. I tore down my 55g and put it into a 40b and would never turn back.

Oh god u mentioned the word scaping ! One thing that takes me the longest and one thing I dred ' would rather clean the stinky skimmer lol

Honestly, I believe the 40 breeder tank is far far superior to a 55g. The 55g is very narrow which severely limits the aquascaping you can do. I tore down my 55g and put it into a 40b and would never turn back.

I agree I said the same thing on another thread today. I love 40B footprint.

It really depends on what you are keeping.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The list of fish that can be kept in a 40b that can't be kept in a 55g is a slim one.

This is true. Its just me because I'm always after the 10" max wet pet. I would never go to a 40b from a 55 but that's why all but 1 of my stands are for 75. Around here a 75 is only $20 more than a 55.

This is true. Its just me because I'm always after the 10" max wet pet. I would never go to a 40b from a 55 but that's why all but 1 of my stands are for 75. Around here a 75 is only $20 more than a 55.

A 75 would be nice. They are quite a bit more expensive where I am though.

Ah that's good and I agree ? bigger the better' could u post a pic of your tank I love to see what others look like.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421438991.540117.jpg Here's my 150. Still working on finding plants my severum won't eat and want to change up the wood and add some rocks but haven't been able to find those perfect pieces yet so this appeases me for now.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's true. Installed a tunze co2 diffuser today and it was a pain in the neck reaching around and into the tank from the step ladder.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421461754.962395.jpg

Back
Top Bottom