Sinking Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crockwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fiance found a piece of driftwood in all her junk she took from her parents, and I decided to use it in my tank since it compliments the other piece. I soaked it in a 5 gal bucket for a week, to pull tannins and all that crap out, but when I went to put it in the tank it would float. I weighed it down with slate, and 1.5 weeks later its still wanting to float if i take the slate off.

Is this typical? How long does it normally take to get wood to sink? Are some pieces ever just plain unsinkable?

some wood can take months to sink. others just will not sink. it really depends on the type of wood.

I've had my dw for almost a month and it still refuses to sink.Just use fishing line and some fishing weights to hold it down.

grrr... Ok, I'll have to devise something to weigh it down with that I can hide under the substrate. Seeing the fishing line will drive me crazy.

Here are ways:
Use silicon and glue it to a piece of slate
Use a drill and screw it onto a piece of slate.

I had dw that never sank. But if it wont do what Crepe said. Then it will stay where you want it.

I have two pieces of driftwood in my tank. I screwed a piece of slate on to each for 3 months before taking the slate off. Both pieces sank after I removed the slate. But I have read that there's really no rule to the matter, each piece is different.

Maybe get a small weight, like is used in fishing and glue it onto the underside of the driftwood?

I bought a piece of driftwood that came screwed to a piece of plexiglas to make the driftwood stand up. Burying the plexiglas in the sand keeps the driftwood down. Just be sure they're stainless screws.

I also got a big piece or mopani from my brother. That took about three weeks of submersion weighed down with rocks to waterlog it.

I use malaysian dw and that stuff sinks like a rock but I was prepared with fissing line and some rock if it didnnt. Just bury the rock and put a plant in front of the line

I had a piece of driftwood I bought from an aquarium store. It was already screwed to a piece of slate and it still took 3 weeks of soaking in hot water to get it stay down. Soaking in hot water speeds absorption. Good luck to you!

oops didn't notice the date...I assume it's sunk by now? lol

Back
Top Bottom