Sinking Driftwood Method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I was thinking of using aquarium sealer to glue my driftwood to heavy slate. Will that work? I can't imagine drilling through the slate to screw it to it, I'm sure it would crack.

Just a thought, but maybe you could use a piece of slate and wrap fishing line around the slate and wood. Then tie it on the bottom. Keep testing it to see if it sinking. If not, keep the string on until it does.

The slate shouldn't crack if done properly. I have two pieces of wood that are screwed into 2 pieces of slate. No cracks.

Jchillin said:
Tony....get some rocks to weigh it down...much better than gluing...you'll have problems changing the location later on.

No, I'm talking about glueing it to the slate, not the aquarium. I just did it, so I hope it works. I'm giving it 24 hours to set and then they are going in. One for the 55g, and one for the 12g. My biggest concern is that sealant is not strong enough to hold the wood on there. If thats the case, I will get out the drill and give it a shot.

The glue didn't hold, but I was able to screw the driftwood to the slate. Finally, real driftwood in my tanks!

I hate how anal I am, but I'm taking my homemade driftwood out because its not perfect. I'm just going to order pre-made piece from BigAl's. I suck, I swear I have mild OCD, but everytime I look at something in my tank not 100% perfect it nags at me. :(

Why don't you just order african or malysian driftwood from drsfostersmith.com. Then you don't have to worry about having the wood attached to slate. I have two pieces in my 20 and they both sunk like rocks.

I found three really great looking pieces from BigAls, don't rain on my parade!

I just got a large piece of Malaysian driftwood and let me tell ya, there are NO problems with that thing not sinking. :D The only issue is that it releases alot of tannins so far.

Can't wait to see the pics of the new tank after you have it setup.

Back
Top Bottom