Sinking pellet for Dwarf Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone recommend a decent sinking pellet suitable for South American dwarf cichlid that is available in the UK? I am currently using some small (around 1mm before going into the aquarium) "semi floating" granules which float for ages and end up getting lost in the gravel so am looking for something that sinks quickly and will be relatively large to allow for longer feeding and that will be easily visable in gravel. My Bolivians won't touch flakes as I expected they wouldn't. Thanks in advance.

Mine like to steal shrimp pellets from the group and take them to a cave or another part of the tank to consume. They are too big for them to swallow, so they either peck at it or pull the entire pellet in their mouth and break it up inside to swallow pieces (not even sure how they do it, but they do). I only know they've done this when I can see dust coming out of their gills. Probably a choking hazard, but I can't stop them from doing it unless I don't feed it to them. All of the fish enjoy them though, so I don't sweat it much and nobody has choked yet.

Thanks for your reply. Well I guess mine may go for shrimp pellets. I was wondering whether there was anything specific for cichlids though.

Thanks for your reply. Well I guess mine may go for shrimp pellets. I was wondering whether there was anything specific for cichlids though.

I don't treat my Rams as a cichlid when it comes to food. They're a dwarf species and can be fed any variety of tropical fish foods. In fact I think this increases their appeal as a community fish. They fit right in with most any non-cichlid, diet and all.

OK, great. Thanks for that. What brand do you use? I would like something that sinks relatively quickly and won't just fall between the gravel. Im guessing what I currently have is only 1mm granules which are way too small and just get gobbled by the tetra before they get near the bottom.

I'm not really sure about the brand. I bought a small canister from a Petland next to my office here for $4 USD. They sink instantly. Sometimes a bubble will form from surface tension and it will hold it, but not for very long, and you can just tap it with your finger to make it sink.

They are messy once they soften, which is relatively quick. Hopefully you have shrimp, Cory's, snails or any bottom dweller that sifts around to clean up the fine debris created as they break down.

i use new life spectrum thera A for my cichlids. You can use any new life spectrum pellet but I like the thera A because it has garlic in it. It's supposed to help prevent parasites and my fish go crazy for it

Back
Top Bottom