Sinking Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I found an awesome piece of gnarled wood today at the fish store perfect for my new 55-gallon tank. However, even though its a heavy piece of wood, the thing just won't sink. Does it just need time, or are there some tricks to sink it?

You can glue a piece of slate to the bottom with 100% silicone or Aquamend from home depot. I have a slab of slate on all my driftwood :D
Just let it dry completely and sand a smooth even surface for the glue to adhere to.

Try soaking the wood for a while in a bucket of water. The water will soak into it, making it heavier.

Fishyfanatic said:
Try soaking the wood for a while in a bucket of water. The water will soak into it, making it heavier.

Its soaking in my tank right now. How long generally will it take to waterlog?

That depends on how pourous the log is. Ok, not sure if pourous is a word. Try tieing a string to it and completly submerging it under water. If it doesn't fall within a couple days, I'd do as DG said and try to put a piece of rock under it. Just make sure the rock you use doesn't mess with the pH.

I tried soaking a piece of drift wood for DAYS and it wouldn't sink. I drained the tank (no fish were in it anyways). BTW it was attached to slate also. So I siliconed the slate to the bottom of the tank.

HAHA. That's another option AR15. Never would have thought of that. Just make sure you don't ever want to replace the wood.

Yeah, if its a really heavy big piece of wood, you may have to attatch it directly to the tank. Or you could try multiple tiles of slate depending on how high (and heavy)you wanted it.

You could also try boiling it, if it is small enough, or if you have a large enough pan (Although some of the larger pieces would probably need a cauldron :lol: ). Just make sure while trying to waterlog it, that it is completely submerged so that the process goes faster.

Real rock work also helps. I had to do this in my new tank. Since I didn't want to glue anything to the tank glass, I placed the rock work along the slate that the wood is attached to. Someday, I can move the rock but for now...everything worked out great.

What brand of glue do you guys suggest? Does the wood have to be dry first?

I had a piece of driftwood floating in my tank for a year. Kept thinking it would eventually sink. Kept thinking one day it'd sink and mess up the aquascape. Kept floating. It was sort of neat, until one of my hatchets jump up on top of it and I didn't realize until it was too late.

My guess is that the wood should be dry before glueing, but read the instructions to be sure. The driftwood that I've bought is attached to slate by a screw. If you have a drill, drill a hole in the slate and screw it to the wood. However, you might want to use a glass bit or possibly a concrete bit to prevent cracking the slate.

I gave up :)

That wood was not even coming close to sinking, so I gave up, went back to my LFS, and traded it in for some really nice rock. The water is still a little yellow from the wood, but otherwise what do you think?

The tank looks great. But I think it wood look better with driftwood. :) I have driftwood in all three of my tanks, so I guess I am a little biased, huh? My arrangement has been to let some float. Other pieces I have wedged and anchored, suspended with fishing line and wire from natural rocks on the bottom. I think this adds a neat affect.

As to the tannins coloring the water, I enjoy that aspect, too. It's all personal preference. I do believe my tetras are happy for the lower pH, naturalistic enviroment and shelter (hiding and sleeping areas) afforded by the driftwood.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Ben

I have an annoying piece of driftwood that floats for about 3 months and, just when you've gotten attached to the way it looks floating at the top of the tank, suddenly sinks to the bottom. What a pain. I also have another small piece that is glued to slate, and STILL floats. Very frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom