Sinking Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHortyGeorge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I got this nice chunk of wood that I'm trying to sink into my new 33 gal... does anyone have any ideas on how to get it sunk super quick?

Cheers!

You can try tieing it down so it is completly submerged. Eventually it will fall. Or, glue a piece of slate to the bottom of it with silicone.

You can also weigh it down by drilling a couple of holes through some slate with a masonary bit and attaching it by using stainless steel screws. Works like a charm.

Bryan

I got a piece of mine to sink finally after about 2 months :roll: by resting a piece of slate on it. I moved the slate the other day...and the wood stayed down! Finally...
But generally, the slate/glue trick works the best.

what kind of wood is it

Is it driftwood? I have often wondered if there were different kinds of wood that could be used. I'm sure some may be toxic.

As long as its brittle and dry it should be ok to put in your tank. Of course you have to use common sense too, if its been where pesticides have been used etc.

Besides driftwood you can also use Mopani and Wellaby wood. They are both an African wood that has been sandblasted to produce a light and and a dark side. Both of these will sink on their own when placed into the tank. Just like driftwood though, they will stain the water. Some people don't like this effect, I love it.

I'm not sure if Mopani and Wellaby wood are actually the same wood being sold under different names or not.

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom