Situation Update...Thoughts are Welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just thought I'd add a brief explanation (using a little science) about how these "Ammonia Lockers" work.

When in water - Ammonia has two forms:

1. "Free Ammonia" - (NH3) - This is the dangerous stuff because its one Hydrogen bond is free to bond to hydrogen on the gills and organs of fish.

2. Ammonium - (NH4+) - This is the harmless stuff. A 4th Hydrogen has been stuck onto the free bond, so the Ammonium doesn't bond to anything.

Now - that 4th Hydrogen comes off and goes on very easily without a lot of energy.

*** If your PH is above 7, the hydrogens come off more than they go on - making more free ammonia.

*** If your PH is below 7, the hydrogens go on more than they come off - making more ammonium.

--- Adding an "Ammonia Locker" to the water adds a special compound to the water (usually a Hydrogen Salt), that adds a lot of Hydrogen Ions to the water - which latch onto the ammonia's free bond like kids on candy.

The problem is - water can't sustain a ton more Hydrogen ions, so eventually the extra Hydrogen from that chemical you poured in, evaporates, and any ammonia that was locked up will be freed again.

So - Unless you get the tank cycled properly, you'd have to either do constant water changes (good) or continuously add "ammonia locker" (very bad, because it could cause your PH to crash and kill your fish)

I agree..frequent water changes are a *must* for a tank that is not completely cycled and even then PWCs are still needed. If you want to keep your fish alive, then we need to get down to the bottom of your water change issues. I know for me, the first few times were difficult, but they DID get easier. I broke the glass top to my 37gal during one of my first water changes. We use a water changer that connects to our faucet so we siphon and then fill the tank right back up and there has been a time or two that my son (who helps me) sprayed water all over the wall behind the tank because he was holding the tubing up into the air instead of down in the water like I instructed him. ;)

I 2nd the advice of looking into getting a different siphon if you're having trouble with yours. My husband has a couple of the hand pump types that he bought at the hardware store and uses out in his garage. Might be some thing to look into. I believe they also have battery operated ones as well.

Just thought I'd add a brief explanation (using a little science) about how these "Ammonia Lockers" work.

When in water - Ammonia has two forms:

1. "Free Ammonia" - (NH3) - This is the dangerous stuff because its one Hydrogen bond is free to bond to hydrogen on the gills and organs of fish.

2. Ammonium - (NH4+) - This is the harmless stuff. A 4th Hydrogen has been stuck onto the free bond, so the Ammonium doesn't bond to anything.

Now - that 4th Hydrogen comes off and goes on very easily without a lot of energy.

*** If your PH is above 7, the hydrogens come off more than they go on - making more free ammonia.

*** If your PH is below 7, the hydrogens go on more than they come off - making more ammonium.

--- Adding an "Ammonia Locker" to the water adds a special compound to the water (usually a Hydrogen Salt), that adds a lot of Hydrogen Ions to the water - which latch onto the ammonia's free bond like kids on candy.

The problem is - water can't sustain a ton more Hydrogen ions, so eventually the extra Hydrogen from that chemical you poured in, evaporates, and any ammonia that was locked up will be freed again.

So - Unless you get the tank cycled properly, you'd have to either do constant water changes (good) or continuously add "ammonia locker" (very bad, because it could cause your PH to crash and kill your fish)

I think you have that backwards. NH4+ is a polyatomic ion that can bond with cations causing fish harm. NH3 is neutral and less likely to bond, plus it's a gas at room temp. Same idea though. And the ammo lock products probably do something other than release hydrogen ions as that is basically an acid and will lower ph/bind with pretty much anything not just ammonium.
H3O+ + NH3 = H2O + NH4+

--Adeeb

I have one of those siphons with a hand pump to start it. Got it at Petco. The "pump" is just a squeeze bulb, like you might find on a gas tank for an outboard motor, built into the discharge line. Mine came with a shut off valve on the end as well. I didn't produce very good suction (i.e. the flow was very slow and it had trouboe getting gunk out of the gravel) but when I removed the valve it got much better. It is very easy, drop the big end in the tanks squeeze the bulb until water flows, and let it do its thing.

I was reading the prior post and with regard to breaking you glass tops put a towel on the floor next to the wall and lean them on the wall with one end on the towel so the are semi vertical. Any water that drains off will be caught by the towel. This way they are more visible and you can avoid breakage.

I was reading the prior post and with regard to breaking you glass tops put a towel on the floor next to the wall and lean them on the wall with one end on the towel so the are semi vertical. Any water that drains off will be caught by the towel. This way they are more visible and you can avoid breakage.

Thanks Saltair; I have indeed begun leaning the tops along the wall like this with a towel under...;)

Back
Top Bottom