size turnover rate for a wet/dry sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Someone wrote a couple of days ago that the wet/dry sump needs to be 1/4 the size of the main tank. So if I get a 180 gallon tank, will I need a 45 gallon sump? Then the question of turnover comes up. So if I get this 45 gallon sump plumbed correctly, should I shoot for 2000 gph with this thing? I'll bet the noise sounds like a hydro-electric dam! Anyway, with a 2000 gph wet/dry (if that's possible), do I need any filtration back-up. I am now planning on hanging on 2 HOT Magnums with that micron filter for water flossing. That will give me another 500 gph, but mostly mechanical filtration. Any thoughts on this, especially having a 45 gallon, 2000 gph pump.

I would personaly shoot for around 1200gph at four foot head height for a pump for the wet dry and leave the mecanical filtration to the prefilters in the overflow box.. HTH

The overflow boxes that you had a link to in one of your previous threads had 2 large sponges for mechanical filtration, in the design that would have 1200gph flow, it would have 2 bulkheads in the overflow box.. HTH

Thanks greenmaji. I'm still pondering and wondering what to do. One day I think I've settled on something and the next I've changed my mind again. Do you think 1,200 gph is enough for a 180? Some people keep saying that you need to turn the water over 10 times per hour. That's why I was shooting for so much gph in my post. Check this link.

http://www.aquacrylics.com/new_acrylic_overflow_box_and_ski.htm

Does this make sense?

I like the overflow boxes that have the cylinder shaped sponges on the little stand pipes in the overflow box.. this might be a personal preference but they look to give more mechanical filtration.
As far as the 10 cycles per hour goes this advice is likely for canister filters and HOB filters.. have you had anyone give you this advice for a wet/dry trickle filter? Im just curious.. but I think around 5-8 times an hour would be sufficient for a wet/dry trickle filter.. JMHO though.. HTH

You can hang the HOTs in the sump if you wanted. You don't need all the turnover through the sump, and could supplement the main with power heads if you need current. Wet/dry is noisy but quieter if you get the spray bar close to the media (still noisy). Mag Drives are relatively quiet pumps. I don't like mechanical filtration at the prefilter with wet/dry because an advantage of wet/dry is it can be messy. Redundant overflows would be wise.

Okay czcz. What do you mean by redundant overflows? Two overflows for one wet/dry? Did anyone check out the link? The gph stuff based on tank size is hard for me to follow.

I haven't had a lot of advice on the wet/dry greenmaji. I don't know if the cycling thing should apply because of the big biological filter area of the wet/dry. Now I'm thinking about HOT Magnums in the sump too.

The link's explanation is a little shady -- You care about maximum flow rate and the site doesn't state that spec nor the diameter of the drain pipe. If you use multiple overflows you can sum the flow rates. For example, say you get 800gph with head from the pump. One 1000gph overflow box is the same as two 500gph overflow boxes. If you joined two 500gph overflows to the same drain line, the diameter of the drain would need to be big enough for total water flow. Better would be two big overflows, because its a larger saftey in case of blockage. There's still 800gph flowing through the overflow. Make sense?

This is just another guideline, btw. You could make your sump larger or smaller, provided you have enough saftey room for drainage and reverse siphon after power outtage, for example.

You'll still need to colonize nitrifying bacteria, so cycling applies.

HTH

czcz said:
I don't like mechanical filtration at the prefilter with wet/dry because an advantage of wet/dry is it can be messy.

czcz.. what did you mean by this? I just didnt understand it.. :?

czcz said:
You'll still need to colonize nitrifying bacteria, so cycling applies.

he was refering to the 10 cycles of water flow an hour when he said that.. HTH

jsoong used to say he hated cleaning anything and loved his wet/dry :) My problem with sponges and such as prefilters is that they clog too easily and slow flow rates. When I ran wet/dry I loved having all that stuff collect on the biomedia because I could just dump it out to clean it: no wiping down or turning off the pump or reaching behind anything. Then I ran mechanical filtration immediately before the return pump. This also decreased visible particulates in the main. Just my opinion, of course.
he was refering to the 10 cycles of water flow an hour when he said that..
Dont mind me. :drinking:

Back
Top Bottom