Skin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RikaMitsukane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I Think my black mollies have skin rot. (large patches of a white looking rash) I want to know how contagious it is to my other fish and a way I can treat it?

Fin Rot

I Think my black mollies have skin rot. (large patches of a white looking rash) I want to know how contagious it is to my other fish and a way I can treat it?

Hello Rik...

If your fish have "Fin Rot", it's because some of your fish are nipping the Mollies' fins. Poor water conditions can make the problem worse. It can spread, so you need to start an aggressive water change routine right away.

Change out half the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. I would add a little bit of standard aquarium salt to the new water too. A little more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons is enough and make the replacement water a little warmer than the rest of the tank water. Mollies must have pure water conditions and the salt will boost the healing process.

Feed a little minced garlic to the fish a couple of times a week. The garlic is a natural antibotic and provides good nutrients.

Change half the tank water a couple of times a week for two to three weeks and see how your fish do. Most times, a lot of pure water flushed through the tank, a little warmth and aquarium salt will help.

B

Back
Top Bottom