Skittish discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got a few discus and they are all skittish while I'm in the room. I want to kno what is a good fish to make them not skittish(dither)
Maybe something different than the normal cardinal and rummynose because they are very expensive near me.
75gallon
11discus(upgrading soon)
7mixed corys(albino. Peppered. Emerald green)

Plants
1big amazon sward
3small amazon swards
1horemanii sward
1hair grass
1small unknown

Filter
525gph
Aquatop
With uv light( 9w)

You can do German Blue Rams, Glowlight tetras, Black Neon tetras, Black Phantom tetras, and a few other types of tetras. The thing is you need to research to see what dither fish can tolerate the higher temps discus are kept in. Fish like German Blue Rams love the higher heat.

You can do German Blue Rams, Glowlight tetras, Black Neon tetras, Black Phantom tetras, and a few other types of tetras. The thing is you need to research to see what dither fish can tolerate the higher temps discus are kept in. Fish like German Blue Rams love the higher heat.

Thanks for the fast reply! So will the gbrs make my discus less skittish?

They can help but discus feel much more secure if there is a little school of some type of dither fish swimming around in the open. This to the discus indicates there are no predators around and it's safe to come out and swim.

They can help but discus feel much more secure if there is a little school of some type of dither fish swimming around in the open. This to the discus indicates there are no predators around and it's safe to come out and swim.

So could I add maybe a small dither school AND 4-5 German blue rams?

Rams don't school and tend to stay low in the tank. If your tank is heavily planted you could do two pairs but I'd still suggest some type of mid-level schooling fish.

The ones mentioned earlier along with cardinals and rummy's are tetra's I know that can handle the higher temps.

The ones mentioned earlier along with cardinals and rummy's are tetra's I know that can handle the higher temps.

Thank you! I will look on aquabid tonight for some discus dithers and gbrs!
What is a reasonable price for gbrs each? And for rummynose? Or cardinals?

I would recommend beckfordi's pencilfish. I use them as dithers with my festivums. IMO they are more interesting to watch than tetras.

I doubt you need other fish to calm them down mine were skittish at first but they'll getter used to their tank and u and prob start swimming to u as they become settled in with time. They are skittish a little by nature but they will learn who you are and that you feed them mine all school right up and start swimming at me if they even see me now discus are awesome just give them time and you'll see.

I doubt you need other fish to calm them down mine were skittish at first but they'll getter used to their tank and u and prob start swimming to u as they become settled in with time. They are skittish a little by nature but they will learn who you are and that you feed them mine all school right up and start swimming at me if they even see me now discus are awesome just give them time and you'll see.

How long will that take? I've had them in there for a little less than a week so far...

Month or two prob. Just feed the same way every time. I grabs pinch of flakes or blood worms or whatever and put my fingers right in the water. Get them use to your hand try leaving them alone for a few days except for when you feed them this way they will associate you walking up to the tank with you feeding them. Also make sure there is plenty of places for the discus to hide ad be comfortable.

Month or two prob. Just feed the same way every time. I grabs pinch of flakes or blood worms or whatever and put my fingers right in the water. Get them use to your hand try leaving them alone for a few days except for when you feed them this way they will associate you walking up to the tank with you feeding them. Also make sure there is plenty of places for the discus to hide ad be comfortable.

They won't come up to the top of the tank at all! What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom