Slate/sanstone...very heavy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting ready to collect most everything to assemble my 55 gal today and tomorrow. Hardest part will be rounding up all the baby one inch convicts from their 30 gallon for the petshop so I can get the rest of the predators ready for the 55 or 75 (my 55 gal I discovered has 2 chips in one corner.
Anyways, I was wondering if theres a weight limit for rock deco in an aquarium?
I understandet the the rock and other deco displaces water! But don't want to overload the tank. Have never used rocks before. Always used the cheesy fake deco, but want to try something different so the tank is nice for everyone to admire. Been getting some ideas online.
Also was thinking of placing the white plastic grating used for fluorescent lights on the bottom before I pour in the sand so none of the edges of the rocks and or driftwood touch the glass.
Is there anything wrong with that? I've used this same grate to cover my aquarium so light can shine through.
Let me know bout the weight issues...
Thank you all!

There is no limit... water in and of itself is heavy... I don't think you could over load a 55gal tank.

Are you going to cycle your tank prior to adding fish I hope?

Just don't load onto a point.

Try to place a flat edge on the glass and not a sharp bit, basically.

How do I know if the slate is untreated?
Have a case of tiles that are broke. Got em half price...
Just want to make sure I don't contaminate the water and kill my fish.
Untreated slate?

I'm not really sure what they'd treat slate with that would be damaging to an aquarium. It might be painted, but that's not usually an issue.

The vinegar test is just to check for potential pH problems.

Yeah I thought so... The acid of the vinegar just reacts with alkalines, like Limestone. :)

diff types of slate

I recently got some slate tiles from home depot and its got earth tones with some deep red/maroons in it and when I break it you can see the thin layers which gives the slate a nice look. I can strike these tiles along the edges and it sorta shears off giving it a more natural look.
The the other day, a carpenter friend gives me what he says is also slate and it's a solid stone that doesn't break as easily along the edges. I hit it with a hammer and it just cracks all over. It's got a light green color to it. Could this be a different type of slate? Maybe I heard him wrong?
Will get pics tomorrow. Forgot to snap a few.

I know that if it is real slate all you have to do is brush it under cool water with a clean brush. I have some black slate in my tank, I have a few pieces hrere and a few there. My idea was variation in the aquascape. Water weighs about 8.4 lbs per gallon so the tank and stand are made to withstand some weight. I like a stand that has a solid piece of wood covering the entire bottom of the tank. The water displacement should be negligable. Watch out while moving the slate in the tank with and without water as it is easy to hit the glass with it. I have some Mopani wood that is tough the glass, you are ok as long as the wood is not overloaded on top.
Hope this helped.

Souns like something your friend used as material or found on a job site. I would be careful using it because stone is defined, of course, by mineral content. A light green color could mean copper mixed with iron, I would use caution.

Back
Top Bottom