Sleek + Low Maintenance Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 5 gallon tank that I want to slim down the hardware on and maintain a low maintenance routine. So here are my thoughts. Please dont get on here and say it cant work. This is only for people who are interested in the idea.
I have a marina slim filter. It has the detachable motor with the built in sponge. I was going to remove it from the hang-on-the-back part of the filter and use it as a sponge filter/powerhead. This would reduce the bulk I have everywhere and reduce surface flow that bothers my duckweed. I have a heater to tuck in the corner and a air pump to aerate alittle. This will make it sleeker.
As far as low maintenance I have pothos vine and duckweed to suck up the pollutants in the water and I like the way it look :) (if anyone has experience with duckweed and how to trim it to fit in the hole at the back of the tank please help :) ) I also have a low stocking expectation for this tank. I have some mystery species of dario in it right now with some livebearer fry (will be gone soon) and I will add some inverts to go with the little dario.
So thoughts? I like the idea but you know I wanna make sure it will work. The filter thing should be fine I think because lots of people use sponge filters but still. Cant hurt to ask :)
Thanks and God bless!

Last edited:
mfdrookie516 said:
Why are you so against maintenance? First it was the 'self sustaining' tank... now it's a 'low maintenance' tank... If you're looking for an easy way out, I'd suggest one of these - Self Sustaining Aquarium

Who doesnt like an easier tank? It is low stocking, and has the equipment needed, so why not? Seems like a valid idea to me.

Why are you so against maintenance? First it was the 'self sustaining' tank... now it's a 'low maintenance' tank... If you're looking for an easy way out, I'd suggest one of these - Self Sustaining Aquarium
LOL no! I am bad about weekly water changes so I like to think I could leave it for a little longer and be safe. But the main reason is on this particular tank maintenance is especially difficult because of one the hood and 2 the duckweed makes it hard. I want to make this one basically take care of itself (other than top offs, feeding ((may try to work a way around that with a small shrimp colony eventually)) and extremely rare water changes.) reasons are: Im lazy and this is a in-the-room extra tank, I think it is an awesome project and fun, and as mentioned the difficulty and my laziness lol. I am a good aquarist I promise lol!

I'm not sure what this thread is about. Most of my tanks run this way. I still do wc though, no amount of plants and ecology can replace that.
I respectfully disagree. I have run my tanks months without water changes (well probably only the 5 gallon) and had no issues. The nitrogen cycle obviously takes care of the ammonia, plants take care of nitrate (and vise versa), and TDS (I know we are headed there anyway) is not what people make it out to be. I am basing this on experience and research. This stuff is possible and really cool.

Okay, dilution is natures answer and catch-all, so it's something I try to feasibly recreate. What is your goal, is this an experiment to see what your fish can tolerate, or do you intend to give those animals in your care the best in your ability?

I don't need research to know it can be done, when we were kids this kind of setup was the only way to do things. I remember more annual complete breakdown/tank bleachings than I care to.

Okay, dilution is natures answer and catch-all, so it's something I try to feasibly recreate. What is your goal, is this an experiment to see what your fish can tolerate, or do you intend to give those animals in your care the best in your ability?

I don't need research to know it can be done, when we were kids this kind of setup was the only way to do things. I remember more annual complete breakdown/tank bleachings than I care to.
I intend to give them the best care possible. I dont want this to be a discussion about my fish keeping morals. I know this can not only be domne but can be done in a way to keep your fish happy, healthy, and well cared for.

Im running a 20gallon with no fish but a colony of 90-100 red cherry shrimp. I have done NO MATINENCE for 6 MONTHS only thing i have done is adding plants and have had NO DEATHS.

No water changes
No cleaning
No adding water
No cleaning filters
NO ALAGE BECAUSE OF SHRIMPS

COMPLETELY SEALED CUSTOM LID
POWERHEAD/SPONGE FILTER COMBO
MOSS, ANUIBIS, JAVA FERNS, MOSS BALL, DUCKWEED
GRAVEL AND ROCK CENTERPIECE
HEATER
DESK LAMP

COLONY IS GROWING TO 5 SHRIMPS CARRYING EGGS

Im running a 20gallon with no fish but a colony of 90-100 red cherry shrimp. I have done NO MATINENCE for 6 MONTHS only thing i have done is adding plants and have had NO DEATHS.

No water changes
No cleaning
No adding water
No cleaning filters
NO ALAGE BECAUSE OF SHRIMPS

COMPLETELY SEALED CUSTOM LID
POWERHEAD/SPONGE FILTER COMBO
MOSS, ANUIBIS, JAVA FERNS, MOSS BALL, DUCKWEED
GRAVEL AND ROCK CENTERPIECE
HEATER
DESK LAMP

COLONY IS GROWING TO 5 SHRIMPS CARRYING EGGS
I wanna see pics!

Sorry for the low quality iphone

Attachments

• image-3580046081.jpg
    image-3580046081.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image-854491164.jpg
    image-854491164.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image-930729035.jpg
    image-930729035.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3800212742.jpg
    image-3800212742.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3180193054.jpg
    image-3180193054.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1717598786.jpg
    image-1717598786.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image-4073323440.jpg
    image-4073323440.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 99
I intend to give them the best care possible. I dont want this to be a discussion about my fish keeping morals. I know this can not only be domne but can be done in a way to keep your fish happy, healthy, and well cared for.
If you don't think that TDS and dilution are important to the stock than you still have a lot to learn about fishkeeping. A sealed ecosystem is a novel idea, but it's not something that nature uses, and I can't bring myself to subject creatures to it. Sorry to be blunt but it's true.

It's not a jab at your morals, I'm sure you have great morals, but you seem to already have your mind made up about what is and what isn't based on 6 months of no water changes and some research. I'd like to move past that and continue the thread where you want it to, but I strongly feel like your foundation has faults in it, so it's hard to move forward.

What do people make TDS out to be, anyhow? I don't see much talk about it other than the occasional old tank syndrome story. It's more overlooked than anything.

Also to the 'sealed rcs tank', if you have 90-100 RCS in your colony and you only have 5 carrying eggs, that is a major cause for concern.

60 to 90 in 6 months sounds like a not too healthy colony to me.

I started with 10 in 5.5 and ended up with over 100 in 6 months... if they are not constantly berried I would be concerned about my water parameters.

I didn't see anything about water parameters... I would be curious of your NH4, NO2, NO3, PO4, GH, and KH readings.

Last edited:
If you don't think that TDS and dilution are important to the stock than you still have a lot to learn about fishkeeping. A sealed ecosystem is a novel idea, but it's not something that nature uses, and I can't bring myself to subject creatures to it. Sorry to be blunt but it's true.

It's not a jab at your morals, I'm sure you have great morals, but you seem to already have your mind made up about what is and what isn't based on 6 months of no water changes and some research. I'd like to move past that and continue the thread where you want it to, but I strongly feel like your foundation has faults in it, so it's hard to move forward.

What do people make TDS out to be, anyhow? I don't see much talk about it other than the occasional old tank syndrome story. It's more overlooked than anything.

Also to the 'sealed rcs tank', if you have 90-100 RCS in your colony and you only have 5 carrying eggs, that is a major cause for concern.
TDS doesnt really pose a problem for fish. I have heard it does but their is simply no evidence. I will not comment on your statement that I have alot to learn about fishkeeping.
I know this is possible and the fish can do just as well as in a conventionally maintained tank. Unfortunately this idea is foriegn to alot of people but it is possible but not meant for most people.
When yall can show me evidence that the fish are harmed by lack a pwcs in a properly setup "self-sustaining" tank then I will abandon the idea. So far no one has submitted the evidence.

So far no one has submitted the evidence.
You've been told more times than I've changed underwear in the last year that it won't work. I guess some people learn the hard way... I don't wish for you to fail, nor does anyone here, but if you continue to disregard advice because you think it's incorrect, especially the advice from people who have been keeping fish longer than you've been alive, you're bound to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom