Sleeping Beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captdan1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had Beta's for many years. My current Beta has an interesting personality - he's friendly and when I come home from work, he swims up to say hello (well before the time I usually feed him) If he were a human, I'd say he was "outgoing". Something I've never noticed in a Beta (or any fish for that matter) before is his latest habit.

He's about a year old, in a 30 gal tank with a few other fish inclding an algae eater. The algae eater has a tendency to uproot the plants, which then float on the top. For the past few weeks, the Beta makes himself a "bed" on the plants and sleeps on his side, just like a human. He only does this at night, after the lights go out. The first time I saw him, I thought he had died, but as soon as the food hit the water, he was bright eyed and bushy tailed.

The water is filtered and regularly changed (about 5 gallons per week), the pH is fine and water temp is kept at 76 degrees, so I'm sure water quality is not an issue. During the day, he swims around and acts, well, like a fish.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this behavior? Oh, and he sleeps late - I don't know what time he goes to "bed", but when I'm ready to leave for work, he's still sleeping (until he hears the tank lid open and knows breakfast is served).

Haha I agree, that is pretty funny. My Oscars like to splash me while I feed them. I'll close the lid of the tank fairly close to be really wet. Kinda off topic, but I thought I might share.

I've had Beta's for many years. My current Beta has an interesting personality - he's friendly and when I come home from work, he swims up to say hello (well before the time I usually feed him) If he were a human, I'd say he was "outgoing". Something I've never noticed in a Beta (or any fish for that matter) before is his latest habit.

He's about a year old, in a 30 gal tank with a few other fish inclding an algae eater. The algae eater has a tendency to uproot the plants, which then float on the top. For the past few weeks, the Beta makes himself a "bed" on the plants and sleeps on his side, just like a human. He only does this at night, after the lights go out. The first time I saw him, I thought he had died, but as soon as the food hit the water, he was bright eyed and bushy tailed.

The water is filtered and regularly changed (about 5 gallons per week), the pH is fine and water temp is kept at 76 degrees, so I'm sure water quality is not an issue. During the day, he swims around and acts, well, like a fish.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this behavior? Oh, and he sleeps late - I don't know what time he goes to "bed", but when I'm ready to leave for work, he's still sleeping (until he hears the tank lid open and knows breakfast is served).

100% normal..I see this behavior with my bettas all the time :)

Yea totally normal. My betta likes to bury himself in his gravel and sleep, almost like hes snuggled in with a blanket. I like how yours sounds though, mines kind of a jerk lol.

Back
Top Bottom