Sleuths? Who's the nipper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaiboxer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

I have all the fish in my signature in a 125 gallon tank. Filtration is great, water quality is perfect:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
pH = tolerable (7.6 I think... same as always)

The tinfoil barbs are a newer addition. I put 8 in on Saturday night, and one kind-of disappeared over night. He was the smallest one, and I'm quite certain my Oscar mistook him for dinner. (I swear I thought he was big enough!)

On Sunday, I noticed that one of the remaining 7 looked a little nipped - not badly, but his tail was slightly chewed up. Yesterday he looked a little worse, and this morning he was missing... not on the carpet, and nowhere in the tank. He was the smallest remaining...

So this morning there were 6. The smallest one looks a little nipped up... my question is, who's doing the nipping? They're schooling tightly, and don't appear to pick on each other. My red-tailed shark chases them a bit, but they're so fast they ditch him quickly. My smaller oscar also shows interest, but most of the barbs are bigger than he is! They leave him in the dust quickly, too...

Am I going to be missing another barb tomorrow? I thought they were quick/aggressive enough to be okay in this tank? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

What do the Jack Dempsey and Convict think of their new roomies?
The Jack that lives in with my cichlids is the smallest and proving to be a jerk. I also have a little convict in with my community tank--he was VERY interested in the brichardi when they were put in the tank. Although, convict's fin is showing nips, not the brichardis' :lol:

I think in general that Jacks are jerks... but he and the convict have been pretty quiet in this tank. The Jack generally hides in a great big cave, and hasn't shown much interest.

I checked this morning. 5 of the barbs look 100% healthy, #6 is nipped up pretty bad but no worse than yesterday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Back
Top Bottom