Slime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obedey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone experienced slime in their tank? Its sorta clear like and gets on pretty much anything in the tank thats plastic (all the filters). It doesn't really bother me but should it?

What type of filter do you use?
What are the test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
What are you feeding the fish? How often and how much?
Does this slime look fuzzy at all? Does it look like strands, balls or sheets?

...and pardon the ignorance, but what's a yabby??? LOL. I'm not familiar with that term.

yabby=crayfish, crawdad...whatever you prefer.

I have never experienced slime in my tank, maybe your fishes slime coats rub off on anything plastic....Just a guess.

I had a clear/green slime in my filter a couple months ago and it wouldn't go away, no matter how many times I did water changes. I did a complete tank overhaul and change the cartridge now once every month and clean the cartridges with tank water weekly. I no longer have the problem.

How often do you clean your filter?

Thx for replies. Sorry about my late reply. I think i'll just do a big clean out and empty most of the water. The tank is just sitting on the floor in the shed so i need to put it on something anyway, so that the syphon cleaner works better. If ya want to know what a yabby is look at my avatar or the June Freshwater Photo Contest Winner :D

the slightly brown slimelike stuff is usually denitrifing bateria.. I always had it in my filters... it does get on all of the surfases of the tank after awhile but most people wouldnt notice it.. unless they had big mucus produsers like discus.. if its a green colored slime this would more then likely be algae of some sort.

no it clear the sorta semi white when you peel it off stuff. Its pretty thick and I only have one yabby in the tank and a little bit of driftwood but the pieces are really small.

I think I know what you are talking about. I get that on my heater suction cups and holder, and on my filter. I don't thinkt here's a cure for it. I just make sure I clean the stuff at every water change.

I had a feeling that's what it was. I've seen it on many people's tanks and haven't found it to be in any way harmful. Just basically not pretty. Keep cleaning the gunk off. It did go away in my 29 gal tank, but I see it in my 10 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom