slime on section of driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChefSLC

Aquarium Advice Regular
Earlier this week i took a piece of driftwood out for a couple of days. The wood has a small part that was really light colored and was slightly slimy. I cleaned it all off and had to re-attach the 2 pieces since they broke (was epoxied together) I was able to get it repaired the next day and inserted into the tank once more on Tuesday.

Today doing my morning inspection and cleaning, I noticed a thick slime on that same spot. The slime is a opaque coloration and right now it seems about 1/4 inch thick.

When I was cleaning the wood, it did not seem to be squishy at that spot or softer than any other.

The wood was prepared for the tank by boiling for just over an hr then i dried it for about 2 days, then epoxied the 2 pieces together and then let it cure for 2 more days. It has been in the tank since just before Christmas, like the 22 or 23.

any idea's what this is, how to stop it, and if it will harm my fish

none of the fish seem to be acting strange, except my male blue ram, but i took his mate away 2 days ago (but died this morning :( )

I will try to get a picture of the slime it may not show up, but i will try to get it

one day, i will use my own information to help myself

Let me google that for you

Basically, it is normal and generally speaking, it will not cause any harm to my fishes.

The slime should go away with time and if I were to get a pleco, it would eat it

Yes...I've collected and boiled my own wood for three tanks. They fuzz/slime for what seems like forever, but it shouldn't go much more than a month. It all depends in the piece of wood. It's not harmful to the fish despite how ugly it is and will eventually go away.

I hated that slime, it affected one of my pieces horribly. I was told if I bought snails they would eat it. Of course my snails didn't realize that was their job and went everywhere in the tank except for that piece of wood. Now, after about a month and a half, it has cleared up on its own.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom