Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Slow Acclimation

So... I'm kind of new to fishkeeping, but I really like it. Anyways, I bought two encyclopedias on fish, and one of them, I think its called the Mini-Encyclopedia on Tropical Aquariums or something like that, said that the whole idea of adding some of your tank water to the bag when you're acclimating your fish is a waste of time because it takes weeks for the fish to become acclimated to different water parameters.

It kind of confused me because everywhere else I heard differently (the guys at every fish store I've been to have told me to add some of my tank water to the bag to slowly acclimate them). I told the guy at my LFS about the book and he said I should completely disregard their recommendation and that the slow acclimation is very helpful.

Personally, I trust the guys at my LFS more than that little book, so I'm sticking with what they said. On a sidenote, the first few fish I bought I just plopped in there after floating the bag for about 30 minutes, and they were perfectly fine, but I'd still rather acclimate slowly just to be on the safe side.

Anyone have a definitive answer to this whole thing? Does adding some of your tank water to the bag help with acclimation, or is it just a waste of time like the book says?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

My 2 cents - Once I began properly acclimating new fish I've very seldom lost them within the first month or two. I dump the bag into a hang on container (like the LFS uses to get your fish) and put it in the QT tank (never put fish in a tank you already have fish in). After a few minutes for the temp to equalize, use a turkey baster and every few minutes add water from the tank. If need be I'll also remove water from the container so I can add more. After 30 minutes or so I'll pour the fish from the container into a net with the water dumping into a bucket or sink. Gently release the fish into the tank and watch to make sure they don't act weird right away. This is easy and has worked great for me.

That makes me wonder about the rest of the information in that book.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

its never a simple yes or no answer. for fish you are getting from a lfs test their water and yours. if you are like me most are almost the same so acclimating them by drip isnt always a must.

two things i want to stress that sumpnfishy said. 1st is use a qt this will be your best bet no matter what you do. 2nd dont use the dirty water this is more important when getting fish in thats been shipped.

with fish being shipped co2 tends to rise in the bag ph drops ammonia builds up. when you start dumping high ph water in it will raise the ph in the bag which the higher the ph the more leathal it is.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea, I had to deal with Ich once when I set up my 55 Gallon and went out and bought a QT in the hopes that I can prevent having to put up with that hassle again (or any disease for that matter).

Just yesterday I bought a few fish from my lfs actually, and I acclimated them slowly just to be on the safe side (they're in my QT now), but I was wondering, how long do you usually quarantine a freshwater fish?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patterson333 View Post
how long do you usually quarantine a freshwater fish?
Depends. Most people will say a minimum of 2 weeks. Some will always go at least a month. I always look at how fish have been from the LFS I've purchased before (never done the shipping thing). Also depends on how you feel about the exsisting fish in the target tank. If I'm putting fish in a tank just receintly set up, I'll do 2 weeks, mostly to make sure they acclimated to my water and recover from the stress they went through. If I'm putting in my established tank with a lot of fish then I'll lean more towards a month. If any die during the QT period I'll extend that by 2 more weeks.

I'm sure everyone has their own prefrences but that's how I do it and I've had no problems so far.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

the longer the better. i would say 4 weeks after the last sign or death.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I think I'm gonna go safe and just keep them in there for anywhere between 2 weeks to a month, depending on how things go.

Thanks for all the tips!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

One thing is the wild caught fish always allow extra time in the QT just to be safe when it comes to internal parasites.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

So what do you all do to your fish while in qt? Just observe for external signs of sickness? (ich, dropsy, obvious emaciation, sores, etc) Or do any of you have a treatment regimine that you always use to minimize chances of there being internal issues (parasites, bacteria, etc)?
55Gal - Dry-Docked... wetness coming soon... I hope...
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

dont treat anything unless i see something come up. make sure its healthy no signs of illness and eating.

Tags
acclimation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com