Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Burks Send a message via MSN to Burks
Those Guppies you are talking about are very hard to find. Last time I saw one he was in QT, not sure what he had.

My Opaline Gouramis are pretty peaceful. They only seem to bother each other and stay away from the White Clouds.

If I had to pick, the Guppies would be my choice provided you can find the little buggers.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
I LOVE my opaline gourami. She's very sweet. She's not nasty at all! She moves so slowly and gracefully.....she's def. the centerpiece of the tank.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, those guppies (called "Mosaic tails") sure are hard to come by these days. I remember when I had my tank set up 15 years ago that those were the ONLY ones readily available. I guess with all the new fancy breeds the old fashioned mosaic lost their attraction
Old 05-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Dwarf gourami, paradisefish....can't beat them for colour, and both are slow and pretty peaceful.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Paradisefish - I like that suggestion, thanks !

Since I'm now thinking of planting the tank (at least to some extent) I'd really like to give the rams a try. They sound exceptionally interesting and since my original intent was a cichlid tank (until I figured out that the tank is way too small for any of the species I wanted) this is a way to at least get a bit of "cichlid-ness" into the tank.

But if I find those mosaic guppies first than that's probably what I'd go with since I'm seeing it as a "challenge" now ..... funny - who would have thought that a guppy would fit under the category of "something different !".
Old 05-30-2006, 09:33 PM   #16
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Honey gouramis are pretty peaceful.

My opaline gourami is a bully. He wouldn't leave my female bolivian ram alone so I had to move her out of my 29g. The opaline chases the cories also. I guess the way they are differs from fish to fish.

If you plant the tank I would get a German ram. My female is very peaceful and very pretty.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

a male pineapple swordtail would look cool although they do get to 3 inches or maybe even a little more
Old 05-30-2006, 11:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I saw two mosaic guppies today - at petsmart of all places. They get their new arrivals on thursday, so it was pretty slim pickings today - those two had torn up tails (goodness only knows what other species they had in with them before). I'm going to keep checking around - even if I have to get them one at a time. I know I'm not going to get the strongest specimens this way, but in all honesty I'm not prepared to pay $60 for a trio ! $1.99 - $2.99 each sounds about right to me.

Gourami's are too variable in temperment for me. I just can't stand the sight of anyone being nastily chased. I'm just a wimp I guess LOL - its a good thing I decided against the cichlids - I probably would have driven myself nuts LOL

Tags
moving, peaceful

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com