slow the flow on filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Top Fin Power Filter 10 on my hex tank. I think it is about 7 gallons. Anyway, it is a relatively small space and the water that goes back to the tank just kind of dumps in the middle. I have 3 white cloud minnows that don't mind this current too much, but I am going to move them. I want to put a betta in this tank, but want to keep the filter on it. How do I keep the water flow from just pouring into the tank? How do i divert the water a little. The filter doesn't have a flow control unfortunatly. :cry:

Is a TopFin a HOB filter? If so, I may have an idea.

I read in one of the aquarium magazine an article on reducing HOB noise and reduce surface agitation; I'm thinking it might work for you as well with a minor modification.

They suggest getting an white cotton terrycloth towel (new and rinsed well) and cut it to match the width of the filter. Lengthwise make sure it drapes an inch or so below the water level. Tuck or pin it on the filter media closest to where the outflow is.

I'm thinking, if you make the bottom end wider then the filter, it may spread the outflow some; this way all the water isn't landing in the same place and may reduce some of the current.

Just FYI, it was in the July 2003 edition of Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium magazine.

I do something very similar with plastic plants. I take off the anchoring piece on the plastic plant and stuff that end of the plant down in front of the media. This works ok just don't use a plastic plant that has broad leaves or the water will spray out side the tank.

Also, making sure the water level is high, and as near as possible to the lip of the filter outflow, really helps. I found that when I filled my tank up past the bottom of the black rim at the top, all sound from my Penguin 330 stopped. The water was still flowing at the same rate, but was moving a far smaller distance to the water surface, and agitating the water much less. This was a big relief, as I think the sound was really bothering my friends who were practicing (cello, clarinet, piano) in the same room once a week!

Obviously, nothing short of covering up the inflow will actually reduce the amount of water moving through the filter. Of course, what might be easy is to cover 2 of the four sides of the inflow apparatus (or half of the pipe if it is a simple syphon)with a non-toxic cloth (within the tank). This would slow the flow, but also hinder filtration. Mind you, if it's a 7 gallon tank, you're almost certainly over-filtering anyway!

Hi...Will the betta be the only fish in this tank? I have 2 bettas in a 5 1/2 gallon divided tank. Before I set this tank up, I had one betta in an Eclipse 3 gallon tank with a bio-wheel filter. I liked this filter; it was nice and quiet, but it created way too much current for the betta and he hated it. Someone told me to cut off some of the impeller fins -- every other one, and that would reduce the outflow. I didn't try this though. I just got the betta another tank, the 5 1/2 gallon one (and another betta to go in there too)! Maybe clipping the impeller fins would work for you.

As others have said, you're probably over-filtering. I know my bettas hate any kind of current, so if your goal is a betta in this tank, you should filter it so that there is no current. Save the filter to use on another tank, or move it into your minnow tank. In my betta tank, I use a sponge filter. It's a Jungle Jr. dirt magnet, for 5 gallons. Jungle has different sized dirt magnets (sponge filters). I use a small air pump, a Tetratec 12, and it makes bubbles, not waves. It's aerating the water a little; obviously not as much as a larger filter, but it's ok for the bettas. I have a 3 valve gang valve too, that is between the air pump and the sponge filter. I adjusted the gang valve until the bubble rate was good. I have a pretty steady and somewhat fast flow of bubbles, but it doesn't make any current. I opened one of the other gang valves a little to just let some air from the pump out into the room, but it's such a little amount, I don't hear any hissing noise. The reason I got the gang valve was so I could adjust the airflow from the pump without damaging the pump -- the extra air has a place to go and it won't put extra stress on the pump, and the bettas are happy.

Hi Hollieo, oops, just read your other topic about the mirror, so I guess a betta isn't going in this tank. But bettas are easy to keep in a 5 gallon tank with a heater and a little sponge filter or small suction cup filter, if you still want one. I've only had mine in the tank for about 3 or 4 weeks, so I'm still kind of a newbie, but they are nice fish and easy to take care of.

Well, I thank you all for the much needed info.
I stuck the plant thing in front of the outflow. It works in diverting the water... I just hope it doesn't effect its filtering capabilities.
Yeah, I guess I have to put plants and maybe some shrimp or snails in the tank now. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom