Small algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platycrazy19

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are some good small algae eaters for a ten gallon tank? Besides the obvious snail or shrimp

Eh i dont think there are any. I was thinking bristlenose plecos, but then saw 10g :( otos! But u need at least 3 :(

I know I kind of thought of the bristlenose pleco as well but even though it doesn't get very big 10g is still considered to small

Yaa are you sure you want an algea eater bec im not sure if any are small enough. Pygmy corys would clean the bottom but i have a feeling thats not what your lookin for

I was looking for more of an algae eater. I do have an upside down catfish and he helps keep the bottom clean. I was just curious if there were any good small algae eaters I didn't know of.

All of the small algae eaters I know of, other than inverts, need at least a 20 gal. Red cherry shrimp eat algae and are a nice colorful addition to a small tank. If you are having algae issues you may need to cut back amount of time your lights are on or feed less(or both)

Thanks. I dont really need an alage eater i just thought it might be a nice addition

Ya im not sure.. Do you have any other tanks? What is currently in the 10?

Just the standard snails and shrimp unfortunately, I don't believe otos can fit in that size of a tank. But there are many cool nerite snails and shrimp though :)

I just have the 10g. Maybe ill consider getting some shrimp. I did see some nice ones as my lfs

I'm going to go against the grain and say that a couple of otocinclus are fine in an established 10g. I've got some that are a year to two years old at least and they aren't big at all, maybe 2" at the most.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that a couple of otocinclus are fine in an established 10g. I've got some that are a year to two years old at least and they aren't big at all, maybe 2" at the most.
I actually agree. Most people do not think 10 gallons is big enough though. But, I have kept otos in a variety of different tank sizes, and I currently have 2 in a 10g and they are fine. Personally, I wouldn't keep more than 2 in there though. Mine have always been just as active in pairs as in trios.

jetajockey said:

I agree, I have 2 in a 10g as well

Well I have a bn pleco in a 10 right now cuz he's so itty bitty but I know eventually I will have to move him! But right now he's no more than 2 inches! :)

Back
Top Bottom