Small Ammonia spike in Newly Established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kclee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had a 20 gallon tank set up for close to 6 weeks now. Went through the cycle, ammonia spike then drop to 0 while Nitrites spike. Nitrites gradually dropped off to 0 and have remained there for the last 3 days or so. Did a water change tonight and God down with the siphon and tried to really clean out the gravel good. Only did a 5 gallon change. Let it sit for a couple hours after the change and go back to check on it and notice that the water is a bit cloudy. Did a water test. Nitrites are still 0 but there is a trace of ammonia...about 0.25. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it common for a tank that has cycled??

You don't have to thoroughly clean the substrate depending on what you have, also are you treating the water you put back into the tank with seachem prime, it might just be on the verge of completing the cycle, whats your nitrates at?

You don't have to thoroughly clean the substrate depending on what you have, also are you treating the water you put back into the tank with seachem prime, it might just be on the verge of completing the cycle, whats your nitrates at?

Yes I am treating the water...did not thoroughly clean the substrate just what the siphon picked up. Nitrates were a little over 5 ppm after water change.

Okay sounds a bit like it's still fighting to complete the cycle, are you using a liquid test kit or strips

Okay sounds a bit like it's still fighting to complete the cycle, are you using a liquid test kit or strips

Liquid tests. Checked it today and ammonia is 0. So seems like it's balancing itself out. Maybe some of the bacteria was disturbed by the water change.

Back
Top Bottom