Small crack in tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
A co-worker of mine is getting rid of one of his tanks.
I am always up for new aquasitions!!! :lol:
I think he said it was like a 200 gallon show tank.
So, it is pretty tall and thin. He is going to give me the exact dimensions later today.
Anyway, He said it had a small crack in it. Like I said, I don't have all the details yet, but in the mean time....
Is a crack a fixable thing? How would you fix it? Apoxy? Silicone?
any suggestions??? or should I just pass this offer by?
any thoughts???

It really depends on where the crack is and how big it is. You wouldn't want to wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of a 200 gallon waterfall. :(

A two hundred gallon tank will have a LOT, LOT, LOT of pressure on the tank sides. Many people get rid of big tanks with cracks in them, because if you can't repair it, It's really just a huge lizard tank.

It may be fixable. I think there are sites that have info about making and fixing your own tanks. Not 100% sure, but I think about.com is one of them.

If you do get it, and you decide to fix it, fill it up out side with a garden hose first. You want to be sure it's not gonna crack in your house. I would hate to clean up a ten gallon spill. Two Hundred gallons? Grab the kid, Honey, were moving!

a glass store might be able to repair the crack with some epoxy, but would you really trust that repair to hold back nearly 2000 lbs of water?

there are chemicals that can melt glass back together, but they're hard to come by, most glass stores don't even mess with them.

if you're getting the tank for free, it might be worth a few $100 to have a glass store disassemble, replace the pane and reseal it.

if you have to buy the tank and it's cracked, pass - it's too much headache!

The tank was going to be given to me, if I want it. I still haven't checked out the crack and not even sure where the crack is located. He left work early to day, so i will get with him tomorrow. I will post when i find out and maybe even a picture.
Good idea about filling it up outside first!! ha, ha
hmmmmm, I am pretty sure he had it filled and no problems. Maybe he said it was a deep scratch and I thought he said crack???
Guess i will find out tomorrow?!?! :roll:

HOLLIEO,

Take the tank! If the crack is on the upper half of the tank, make a River Tank (Palladium?) out of it!!! A 200-gallon river tank with a water area and a shore area would be absoultely INCREDIBLE! You could put frogs in with your fish, and even turtles (it's big enough for them to be comfortable!). How neat would that be? A lot of work, though...

Or if it's too tall and thin to make into a river tank, or if the crack is at the middle/bottom, I'm sure somebody would LOVE it for their lizards/snake/frogs. How great would that be? You could put a whole (6-foot or longer) branch in there for the little guy/guys!

Heck, if I lived in CA (no, not calcium, as the red lettering indicates), I'd offer to "take it off" your hands. :lol:

well, it turns out the tank is only a 90 gallon. It actually doesn't have a crack. It was out side for a while and now the tank needs to be resealed/resiliconed.
I don't think I want to take on that project. Any thoughts on this? Is it hard to re-seal the tank? Expensive?

LOL!! Can you see the ad?
FREE TO GOOD HOME, LARGE 200 GAL SHOW TANK, SMALL CRACK.***

***may not be 200 gal. Some assembly required.
:p

Shoot, I'd take it if it was me. Resealing it can't be that difficult and if its free? In my book thats a big DUH!!! My hubby is really good at things like that tho, so it wouldn't be that be a deal.

hmmmmmmmm... maybe????
So, any Idea on what kind of filter I would need for a 90 gallon? I really like my Penguin biowheel 125 that I have on my 20 gallon. Do they have one for a 90 gallon?

Um...if that's true, then why do they use it on ALL glass aquariums? Some that get over 100 gal or MORE??? Hmm...food for thought...er...silicone for thought...maybe I'm wrong, but how else do they stick glass together?

Yeah. That is what I was gonna ask???
It is an all glass that looks to be stuck with Silicone. If it is not silicone, but looks like it... then what is it?
How would I re-seal this tank???

For filters, maybe get 2. One Fluval canister (404 is $90 at www.bigalsonline.com, 304 is cheaper), and perhaps a Penguin Biowheel 330 (I've got one on my 55, and it's fantastic). Penguin 330 goes for $24 at bigals.

Back
Top Bottom