Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

SMALL KOI AND GOLDFISH IN AQUARIUM NOT A GOOD IDEA

MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAID ABOUT THE MIXING OF KOI AND GOLDFISH..WELL IT CAN BE DONE IN A POND MORE THAN 100 GAL BUT IN A AQUARIUM ITS A WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY KOI TEND TO BE MORE AGRESSIVE IN A AQUARIUM AND WILL PICK AND EVEN FOLLOW GOLDFISH AROUND TO PICK AT THEM NO MATTER HOW BIG THEY ARE. I HAVE A 55 GAL TANK WITH 1 2IN AND 4IN KOI AND 6 GOLDFISH 4 ARE MED SIZE BLACKMOORE,ORNANDA,FEMALE VEILTALE,COMET, THE GOLDFISH GET ALONG VERY WELL ACCEPT SOMTIMES THE COMET PICKS ON THE ORNANDA BUT NOTHING SERIOUS, BUT THE KOI ARE VERY AGRESSIVE AND PICK AT THE GOLDFISH. AND A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE HAS A 100GAL WITH TWO 8 TO 10IN KOIS AND TWO CATFISH AND ALGEA EATER SHE RECENTLY BOUGHT A MED SIZED ORNANDA SINCE MANY PEOPLE SAY THAT ITS THE RIGHT FANCY GOLDFISH TO MIX WITH KOI...WELL NO ITS NOT THE KOI HAD ALMOST DEVOURED THE POOR GOLDFISHES HEAD MOST OF THE ORNANDA CAP WAS GONE AND WHAT SURPRIZED HER THAT IT WASNT THE CATFISH OR THE ALGEA EATERS THAT ALMOST KILLED THE POOR GOLDFISH THIS LASTED ABOUT A WEEK WHEN SHE SEPERATED THE GOLDFISH AND PUT IT IN ANOTHER TANK WHERE THE GOLDFISH RECOVERED QUICKLY SO TO PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT MIXING KOI AND GOLDFISH IN A AQUARIUM SHOULD DO A LITTLE MORE STUDY. KOI AND COMET GOLDFISH CAN BE KEPT IN A POND BUT IN A AQUARIUM ITS A WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY. KOI ARE MORE AGRESSIVE THAN GOLDFISH COMETS AND WILL FOLLOW A COME TO PICK AT IT.

Dan. take care And remember Alfa Romeo #1!!
AlfaRomeo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Please don't type in all caps- in internet "language" it is considered the equivilant of shouting.

From what I have read about koi and goldfish I have also noted that the two should not be kept together..

Old 05-17-2004, 10:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

This article also suggests separating common and fancy goldfish:

http://www.petfishinfo.com/catalog_p...ree_groups.htm
Old 05-17-2004, 10:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

This article also suggests separating common and fancy goldfish:

http://www.petfishinfo.com/catalog_p...ree_groups.htm
Old 05-18-2004, 03:05 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
I want to know what prompted this very glaring post (maybe you should maybe edit and take out the capitilization? Hmm?*taps foot and waits*) It is actually not easy to read and rather disjointed.

What advisor here even suggested mixing fancy golds with koi or comets or shubunkins? 8O People new to golds often do..but new people do a lot of risky things. And it would be best to reply on that thread anyway....

I think I am the loudest advisor on golds and I usually suggest the best tankmate for a gold is another gold. :| Then I will list the few safe species. And never condone mixing

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think he was replying to a post per se but making a comment on the fact you shouldn't be mixing the two. I guess what is common knowledge for some is not common sense for others, I guess that is why this forum is here.

P.S. Who were these people. I've been hearing a lot of "people suggest"..."people said"...give these people a name.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:23 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Speaking of golds...how are your two little cuties doing? ^_^

Old 05-18-2004, 11:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

*hijack*

They are good. Unfortunately they did not do very well in the bigger tank, I think all the space overwhelmed them. They are now living in a 15 gal, very happy with all the level sat.

Now I'm stuck with an extra 29 that I'm turning into a planted tank.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:15 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

*Hijack* How odd...are you sure it wasn't just the cycling of the new big tank and the fact they had been sick for a little while? Usually they even do well just plopped into ponds when just wee 3 inchers....
Well they will be ready to move soon enough.... ^_^ and you are ready already.

Tags
goldfish, koi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com