Small particles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to add another filter what should i use inside I'm thinking a sponge and micro balls what does everyone else think... Kinda trying to clear my water more

It is polyester fill, just like in a pillow. You can generally stuff it in most filters. I just change it monthly.

Tank size (55g right)? What filter do you have now?

I've found poly-fil the be the best water polisher no matter how much you want to spend, but since cost is about $5 for a big bag and I don't cringe every week when I toss a gunk filled wad out from any of my 4 tanks lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
Tank size (55g right)? What filter do you have now?

I've found poly-fil the be the best water polisher no matter how much you want to spend, but since cost is about $5 for a big bag and I don't cringe every week when I toss a gunk filled wad out from any of my 4 tanks lol.

I have an aqua clear 70 three stage with filter-filter-rocks (little white things lol).... I'm adding an aqua clear 150(for 30g) three stage ..... This is what I'm wanting to know about

I have an aqua clear 70 three stage with filter-filter-rocks (little white things lol).... I'm adding an aqua clear 150(for 30g) three stage ..... This is what I'm wanting to know about

AC30 would help and give you a backup for a 10g QT. Filters (anybodies) tend to be overrated in filtering capacity, so when you think one size will work, step up to the next size in my theory.

A wad of Poly-fil on the sponge and under the biomedia (filter-rocks) is what I do and it scrubs the water clean/clear. Here's an example from my AC50 after 1 week:

Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Ok 2 question how often do u change the poly-fil and what order should I do that would be perfect

Ok 2 question how often do u change the poly-fil and what order should I do that would be perfect

Every week on my HOB, in my 305 can about once a month.

I set mine up as follows:

Top: Biomedia
Middle: Poly-fil
Bottom: Sponge

The nice thing I'm finding using poly-fil is that the heavy gunk that used to clog the biomedia, now gets trapped and leaves more room in the biomedia for bacteria to populate. I haven't had to rinse (gunk off) my biomedia since I started using poly-fil.

I wonder on my big filter if I should do that cause there's gunk or do u think the new filter will pick it up

So in my big filter do like sponge sponge poly and then the other do sponge poly rocks

So in my big filter do like sponge sponge poly and then the other do sponge poly rocks

I guess you can keep both sponges in there, but I always considered it kinda redundant, since anything the first sponge couldn't grabbed (micron wise) will go right thru the second one. Just a theory of mine anyways.

FYI: If you didn't catch it in the link, make sure you get pure poly-fil with no additives (fire retardants, etc). I researched the "Fairfield poly-fil" brand in-depth and confirmed it's safe for aquariums.

EDIT: You can get poly-fil at most fabric or craft stores.

The only reason for keeping both those sponges is because I have a lot of bb built up in them just trying to keep that .... Now when u put that poly in do u just stuff it in there or do u wrap it in something

The only reason for keeping both those sponges is because I have a lot of bb built up in them just trying to keep that .... Now when u put that poly in do u just stuff it in there or do u wrap it in something

I understand the sponge issue and you're right, they do hold BB. But the biomedia is geared for that and the sponge is more a poop/food/gunk trap IMO.

Just like you saw in that pic, I grab a wad that looks about right, give it a quick rinse in the sink, squeeze it out and stuff it in the basket. The biomedia does a good job of weighting it down.

Back
Top Bottom