Small pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galerius

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a new 90 gallon that I plan on being heavily planted with various South American cichlids, a shoal of cories, a large school of tetras (undecided as to which) in it. I would like to have a pleco in my tank, but I don't want one that will get huge. For example: I never expected my clown loach to grow past 5 inches...he's now pushing 8. My redtail shark is almost 7. I know fish sizes aren't exact and I attribute my fishes' healthy size to weekly 25% water changes, etc. They both will remain in the 55. Any suggestions on plecos that stay under 6" or so?

TIA

I vote bristlenose, but only because I have one, and I have never had the other. The bristlenose should stay around 4 in. I believe. I just LOVE mine. He keeps the tank really clean, and he is SO funny to watch.

A few of this type would include the otocinclus(2in) the clown pleco(<4in) and an idea for your tetras would be a congo tetra, they are a beautiful fish.

i would go with rubber mouth. they generally stay under 4" in length and are voracious algae eaters.

Menagerie is right - you need to pick a pleco that can hold its own with the cichlids you have in mind. Common plecos are favored for this reason, but if you have plenty of driftwood and hiding spots a smaller one can certainly work out. I know bristlenoses are often used in African cichlid setups, presumably for their ability to handle life with the more aggressive cichlids.

When choosing from some of the ones kindly listed by fishyfanatic, be sure to check their individual requirements, since some are more omnivorous and require different foods than the ones that will eat algae. Some won't touch algae. Planetcatfish.com is an excellent resource also.

Pitbull Plecos stay under 3" and are rather active. Entertaining to watch them. They also like to be in groups of three or more.

AS mentioned, if a fish can fit something in it's mouth, it's dinner.

Back
Top Bottom