Small puffer fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there a small/dwarf/munchkin/teacup puffer fish that will safely house in a 40g with other community fish and be able to stay there do life? I think it might be cool to have a more exotic looking pet! (even if it really isn't exotic, I've always thought of them that way!) ^^

I heard this guy telling a story about his momma having about 50 +/- glo fish in a 10g, and he's kept them happy and healthy for a year now by doing extra pwcs and adding three cories! And by extra pwcs, I mean that he did 50% water changes back to back every other day, and on the other days he did 25% water changes with gravel vacs on both days! (she always over fed the fish, and the cories were fine as far as I could tell) now, there is NO WAY that I'd ever recommend this for anyone to do on purpose, but having a slightly over stocked tank can still keep happy healthy fish with a little extra work! ^^

alia258 said:
Is there a small/dwarf/munchkin/teacup puffer fish that will safely house in a 40g with other community fish and be able to stay there do life? I think it might be cool to have a more exotic looking pet! (even if it really isn't exotic, I've always thought of them that way!) ^^

Not sure about that. Pea Puffers are best on their own as a single fish. There are a few kinds that can go with them but I'm not sure what kind.
I heard they'll pick at others with they're beak. They are quite the hunters and like to stalk they're pray. Try watching a YouTube on them. Or look up more info.
I just always kept ours alone.

If its that dangerous, then I'll just give up the puffer fish idea, I don't need one, just was fancying the idea of a puffer is all ^^

alia258 said:
If its that dangerous, then I'll just give up the puffer fish idea, I don't need one, just was fancying the idea of a puffer is all ^^

It's not dangerous. Just do a little more research in the different types of small puffer fish. I'm sure you'll find something.

As I have mostly bigger fish than him, is why I keep him alone. They would see him as a snack. :)

Nah, I think I might go with those snakey things actually, the pet store has albino ones ^^

I have no idea what they're called actually, but they were under the 'community fish' sign, so I figure I'll get some in my 40g ^^

I don know what they're called, sorry! I'm kinda stealing this dudes thread, but I really can't post a thread since the only thing I know about the fish is what they look like

I'll look up kulili loaches and get back to you, and if you're right then I can start my thread ^^

I don't think it's the kuhli loaches, I drew a pic from memory. I'm not so sure about the thing on their head, but I'm positive that's what the body looks like! (I'm not totally sure that the antenna was there, but I forget)

View attachment 81634

Waiiiiiiiit! Is this my thread? I think it is! Gosh darn I can be an idiot sometimes! Well, anyway, I don't think it's one of those loach things, they were really skinny and about 2" long when I saw them ^^

What I'm thinking it could possibly be:
ghost catfish (a little unlikely)
Dinosaur bichir (this is unlikely too)
Chinese algea eater (a little more likely)
**i think that these fish are similar, but I don't think that they're the one im talking about**

Some other fish I also might want:
Silver tipped shark
Rasbora brigittae
*i didn't look up info on them, just saw pics and thought they were pretty*

CAE is not really a community fish.

A word of caution about the "community fish" designation at a pet store- it's often wrong. If you are unsure of what something is, take down the name (Latin name is most helpful, common names are often made up garbage and can hay greatly from store to store) or snap a pic with your phone and ask here before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom