Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Small quarantine/hatchery

I need some advice. I want to have a small tank to house and cure sick fish, hatch fry, and maybe raise RCS(obviously not all at once) . My concern is more due to the shrimp and sick fish. How big does it 'really' need to be. Can i skate by with a 1gallon tank? This is not a permanant home for anything except shrimp.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you want to do anything useful as far as treating sick fish I would keep a 10g in storage with equipment you could set up as needed. I wouldn't do any less than a 10g due to small size, increased fish stress, and tiny water volume.

For a hatchery I would also go with a 10g minimum. In a 1g the water parameters can swing too quickly.

It'd work great for a shrimp colony though

Tags
quarantine, small

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com