small rainbowfish in 10 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamx457

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ten gallon that is being wasted right now so i am thinking about starting a densely planted 10 gallon with some type small rainbow fish i was thinking threadfins or spotted blue eyes. Would it be possible for a group of 5 or 6 of one of those fish to live in my tank. I was also considering adding my honey gourami in there but, it was just a thought.

You could probably add 6 rainbow fish, not sure about the gourami combination though.

I had a school of 7 Gertrude's Rainbowfish (another common name for spotted blue eye - Pseudomugil gertruda) with a Honey Gourami in a 29 gallon tank. I'm not sure how they would do together in a 10 gallon as the gourami and the rainbow fish both spent quite a bit of time in the top of the tank.

A note on the rainbowfish, I would consider getting 2 males and 4 females if you do a school of 6; my 3rd male would get chased some by the others. You need two males to see the cool fin display though!

I will say too that they were very active fish; they used the entirety of my 29 gallon tank.

I would look into the gertrudae rainbows. They are in the blue eye category, small, and just beautiful. You could probably have a nice school of 6 with your honey gourami.

I have 7 blue spotted (Gertrude's) rainbowfish in a heavily planted 10 gal right now with some cherry shrimp. I actually originally tried them with a honey gourami but it kept chasing the rainbowfish and I had to take it out. I was a little surprised with this because the honey gourami had previously lived peacefully with a bunch of endlers. So yeah, you could try it but I'd definitely have a back up plan if it doesn't work out. Or just do some RCS with them! :)

I decided on going with the spotted blue eyes and i was wondering what plants would look cool. I already decided id use java moss and java fern but what else. Anything with low to medium lighting is fine.

I decided on going with the spotted blue eyes and i was wondering what plants would look cool. I already decided id use java moss and java fern but what else. Anything with low to medium lighting is fine.

Try some anubias - just remember to keep the rhizomes above ground. Tie or rubberband them onto a rock or driftwook.

Crypts are nice too - they need root fertilization though so use root tabs of some type with them regularly.

Back
Top Bottom