Small schooling fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Like the title says, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for small schooling fish. I wanted neons, but they don't seem to do well in my tank. Parameters are fine, 0, 0, and low nitrates. I'm thinking either weak stock or they don't like my higher pH and hardness.

I like the jewel-like look they have against the planted tank and black substrate is why I'm having problems coming up with other options. That and the blue coloration.

Tank is 100g, heavily planted, with cherry shrimp and 2 SAEs currently. Planning on corys, otos, and hatchetfish as well. Maybe some Ember tetras.

Look into Cardinal Tetras , they look like neons but are much hardier . Head and taillight Tetras you may like too .

I looked at them. I had dismissed them, though. It looks like they need softer water and mine sits at around 8 pH and hard. Would they be able to adapt better than the neons?

Didn't think of that.You could get a couple and acclimate them slowly and see how they do . I would think they would adapt to your water . If not that then you are stick getting fish that like your water . It is not worth the effort to change the water chemistry to suit a fish .

Cardinals and neons should be fine at a pH of 8. I've kept both in 8.2-8.4. Cardinals do appear to be hardier.
I looked at them. I had dismissed them, though. It looks like they need softer water and mine sits at around 8 pH and hard. Would they be able to adapt better than the neons?

Okie doke. I will give the cardinals a try. Thanks guys

They are on the short list of options. Also glowlight tetras.

My store can't order cardinals, so I'm giving the neons one more shot on the theory they possibly got a bad batch in. Currently back to 20 neons and also got 10 embers a few days ago that are doing great. We'll see how this new batch of neons do *fingers crossed*

Fingers crossed - gone through three schools of them here and kind of given up. Shame as really nice fish (but can’t trust angelfish with them either).

Rasboras are great if you want some smaller fish. Chili, neon blue, greens, etc. They can be kinda sensitive however.

I'd love to do a tank with chili rasboras! I'm thinking of getting my 29g set back up. I want CPDs, absolutely, but I'm looking into nano fish that share their requirements for counterpoint color for that one.

So far the neons I got last week are doing okay, as are the ember tetras I got a week and a half ago. I got another bunch of neons today. Really liking the way they all school together and the color counterpoint with the dull red against the brilliant red and blue. Here's hoping they keep doing well. Almost all the plants are in, just waiting on my hairgrass, and that definitely seems to be making a difference with all the fish in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom