Small snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler3533

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is starting to be one infested with these small snails. I've been finding the ones I can and scoop them out. But still there is more. Even took my whole heater out to find like 20 snails on it. The snails look like this. Are these snails harmful? Should I keep taking them out when I see them?

Attachments

• image-66268592.jpg
    image-66268592.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 67
That looks like a common pond snail. I'm not fond of them. What size tank do you have? You have a few options to get rid of them. Many use Assassin snails, if your tank is big enough yo-yo loaches work well (that is what I have), you can make DIY snail traps (instructions can be found online), or you can get some leaf lettuce, hold it under hot water to soften, then put in tank at night. Collect snails as they migrate to lettuce to eat.

Rivercats said:
That looks like a common pond snail. I'm not fond of them. What size tank do you have? You have a few options to get rid of them. Many use Assassin snails, if your tank is big enough yo-yo loaches work well (that is what I have), you can make DIY snail traps (instructions can be found online), or you can get some leaf lettuce, hold it under hot water to soften, then put in tank at night. Collect snails as they migrate to lettuce to eat.

I have a 29 gallon tank. And I'll try the lettuce thing. Should it sink?

Back
Top Bottom