Small Tank Algea Eater/Sucker Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah...I know that now. :( Now I have to try and catch them. They are so fast. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to start harassing other fish? I have 3 in total. One in small tank I've had for a couple months and 2 I just got for the larger tank. So none of them are more than 3 inches yet.

For one of mine, it was at bout 4 inches when it turned nasty. For the other, it was more like 2.5 inches. I had each of them a good handful of months before it happened, but I don't remember exactly how long.

Oh dear. Well I better take them back to the LFS asap! Good thing I posted about them. I was going to get a couple of bristle nose catfish for the larger tank as well. And I did research on the "sucking catfish" before I got them...or I thought I did. Didn't see anything about it's real name or true tendencies. I wonder how many other fish are out there with false names.

By the way, thanks LyndaB - you were the first to tell me but I guess I didn't look into it enough to realize you were right!

Like I said Otocinclus look similar but are harmless and prefer a group. Pitbull Plecos are another choice for small peaceful Algae Eaters.

CAEs are cheap and hardy, I just try to educate people about them.

You can build a trap. Try a clear plastic soda bottle. Put rocks in to weight it down. Bait it with an Algae Wafer or Romaine. Keep cap handy ;)

Or cut bottle in half and invert top into bottom. Harder to escape that one.

Ooh never thought of trapping them. Thanks for the tip!! I will definitely be trying those

Back
Top Bottom