Small Tank Algea Eater/Sucker Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lycie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have two tanks - a 25 litre and a 180 litre. I have a sucking catfish in my small tank but I feel like I should move him to my larger tank...he has gotten bigger and I'm sure he would be happier in a large tank. I want a small sucker fish or something else that's happy in a small tank to keep the algae under control. Any suggestions??

IME you won't find anything small enough for the 25 ltr tank I would've said otos but they like being in groups & they need a well established tank with some algae growth
In the 180 ltr you have a few options
1-2 bristlenose
1-2 pit bull plec
1 clown plec
A group of otos

Hmmm...but what can I do to stop algae growing in my 25 litre? Do shrimp control algae?

0-0-20 with 7.5 ph and 27 degrees celcius. not much natural sunlight, it's about 2 meters from a window but I usually keep those blinds closed. So potential for better light if needed.

Hmmm...but what can I do to stop algae growing in my 25 litre? Do shrimp control algae?

What do you have in this tank? What do you feed and how much? Too much light exposure can create algae. How long do you leave your lights on?

LyndaB said:
What do you have in this tank? What do you feed and how much? Too much light exposure can create algae. How long do you leave your lights on?

I have my sucking catfish, a balloon Molly, a guppy, and 4 baby Molly's. They will all soon be moved to my 180 litre though. I was thinking of having some tetras in there to keep the tank going. Just feed a flake food twice a day. And I probably do have the lights on for too long. I have them on for more than 8-10 hours most days as my work has unpredictable hours.

You should put a timer on your lights. That's what I use. Mollies and Plecos are poop machines so all the fish waste plus light = algae.

I'd reduce it to 6 hours a day when I'm around so I can see my fish. Water changes and reduced lights will help Once Mollies and Pleco (?) are out , if you stock appropriately you algae shouldn't be a huge issue. Esp if you add live plants to compete. Then you can go back to 8 hours on the timer. I do 4 hours on/4 off/4 on so my lights are on when I'm home.

Thanks :) I will reduce lights as often as I can. Water changes are easy in the 25 litre. And I will add more live plants - just have the one struggling plant atm.

I have my sucking catfish, a balloon Molly, a guppy, and 4 baby Molly's. They will all soon be moved to my 180 litre though. I was thinking of having some tetras in there to keep the tank going. Just feed a flake food twice a day. And I probably do have the lights on for too long. I have them on for more than 8-10 hours most days as my work has unpredictable hours.

This is a really tiny tank. In my opinion, you are overfeeding. Only the fry need multiple meals per day, not the adult. I feed my adults every other day.

I don't think your lights are the issue. I have mine on 12 hours per day and have no algae.

Is sucking catfish the actual species name?

What are your readings? Mollys have a large bioload and this is not even 7 gallons.

LyndaB said:
This is a really tiny tank. In my opinion, you are overfeeding. Only the fry need multiple meals per day, not the adult. I feed my adults every other day.

I don't think your lights are the issue. I have mine on 12 hours per day and have no algae.

Is sucking catfish the actual species name?

What are your readings? Mollys have a large bioload and this is not even 7 gallons.

Well as the young and the adults are currently together, I have been feeding twice a day. Normally only feed once a day.
Yes, sucking catfish is its name as far as I'm aware http://www.google.com.au/search?tbm...wi&q=sucking catfish&sa=N&biw=320&bih=356#i=0 there's a picture if that link works. First and second pics
Readings are 0-0-20 7.5 27d/c
And I know it's a small tank for the Molly's, that's why I'm moving them when my other tank is stable. I didn't plan for babies, but my female was already pregnant when I got her.

A large, hardy fish often sold as an algae eater but in fact far inferior to fish such as plecs and Siamese Algae Eaters. Adults of this species are very aggressive and territorial, and while suitable for inclusion in large tanks with sturdy cichlids, are not good choices for community tanks.

Doesn't sound like a good choice. So, essentially, you've got zero algae eaters in this tank.

Since you're upgrading them to a larger tank, I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

thanks. But I guess it's hard to trust all sources on the Internet. As I keep finding opposing information.

"​The Sucking Catfish (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) is, in many countries, simply called the Algae Eater. It is a fitting name, as a couple of these catfish will sometimes massively reduce the algae growth in a tank in just a couple of days. When larger, they can occasionally squabble, so if you want more than a single specimen, try three or four to disperse any aggression. They are, however, normally peaceful."

I have had mine for a while now and he keeps to himself. Hardly interacts with the other fish. And in terms of how well he cleans algae, I think he does a good job :) but thanks. All info helps.

Ps. The info you were looking at is for a loach.

There's most definitely a lot of conflicting info on the net. While a good source for research, you do have to balance the information from a variety of sites, it seems, to come up with something halfway reasonable.

The term "sucking catfish" really seemed to throw Google off its game. I saw everything from corys to plecos to what appeared to be your guy.

Glad he's working for you! (y)

LyndaB said:
There's most definitely a lot of conflicting info on the net. While a good source for research, you do have to balance the information from a variety of sites, it seems, to come up with something halfway reasonable.

The term "sucking catfish" really seemed to throw Google off its game. I saw everything from corys to plecos to what appeared to be your guy.

Glad he's working for you! (y)

Haha I know. Very general name really. I guess you never really know until you try and have experienced it for yourself :)

Your Sucking Catfish at least by those pictures is the Infamous Chinese Algae Eater. Quite a nasty character. As they grow they start sucking slime coats OFF other fish !!! And they get big.

Check Otocinclus , those look similar but stay 2" or under.

Coursair said:
Your Sucking Catfish at least by those pictures is the Infamous Chinese Algae Eater. Quite a nasty character. As they grow they start sucking slime coats OFF other fish !!! And they get big.

Check Otocinclus , those look similar but stay 2" or under.

Wow. This is a photo of my guy...you think he's one of those Chinese catfish?

Attachments

• image-4009075576.jpg
    image-4009075576.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 74
Oh no. Don't worry I just checked. Why are they sold so readily and why are they so easily confused with a supposed docile tank mate??? They are everywhere here in Australia. :( every LFS has them, and with other fish too.

That is a Chinese algae eater. Sorry. I have kept them in the past and they tend to be little terrors. They are known to get territorial and will suck the slime coats off other fish. They will only eat algae while they are young, and then they prefer a diet of fallen flakes. They can do ok in larger tanks with feisty tankmates, but be careful of anything slow-moving. Mine would attach to my guppies all the time and suck on them. Also, like Coursair said, they get big.
They are everywhere here too. Places sell them because they are hardy, and people buy them. I agree with you that I would prefer if stores would sell more small algae eaters, but sadly, a lot of them don't.

Back
Top Bottom