Small tank small fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any truth to what I colleague at work said that a fishes growth will depend on the size of the tank? Or that the growth of the fish would be stunted for example, if put in a small tank.

It stunts the body but the organs continue to grow. Basically slow death

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes this is true best examples are alligator gars. Monster fish that are still being sold for some reason. These fish are meant to grow upwards of 40inches but in an aquarium will only hit 16 to 25 inches. If you put it in a pool it will grow much larger. And as said organs keep growing. You can notice most of the time much bigger eyes on stunted fish.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

I've heard that the organ thing is a myth...?
Although I definitely agree that fish kept in an improperly sized aquarium will have stunted growth. From what I've read, they grow proportionate to the amount of available oxygen, so they won't necessarily grow to "fit" the tank but rather will be limited based on resources available.
Keep in mind this is just my opinion based on what I've read so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard that the organ thing is a myth...?
Although I definitely agree that fish kept in an improperly sized aquarium will have stunted growth. From what I've read, they grow proportionate to the amount of available oxygen, so they won't necessarily grow to "fit" the tank but rather will be limited based on resources available.
Keep in mind this is just my opinion based on what I've read so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It may be a myth im not 100% on this but as fishanatic said I have seen the larger eyes on stunted fish. Its just not a good thing to stuff what is suppose to grow to 12" in a 10 gallon. I know most wouldn't but some would.

Pro breeders of Angels, Discus and Goldfish give them plenty of room and pristine water to achieve maximum growth and best body/fin proportions.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also over on monsterfishkeepers and there are constantly rescue threads of people posting Red Tailed Cats that are the same length as the tank they are in. The small tank will slow the growth but a fish can literally out grow a tank it is being kept in all though it is stunted.

Results will depend on the type of fish. put an Jag or a Midas in a 20 gallon it will out grow the tank eventually and will be deformed. Put a Firemouth in a 20 gallon and it just wont reach the maximum size it could in a bigger tank. What I am trying to say put a fish that naturally reaches 15-20" and it will out grow. Put a fish that naturally reaches 7" in a 20 and it will just be stunted. I hope that makes sense.

Either way its not good.

True or not, keeping potentially large fish in a tank that is too small is unnatural and cruel. I also can't see the pleasure as a fish keeper, the joy is in seeing fish behave as naturally as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom