Small tank with lid and heater, no filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czcz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking of cutting a piece of plexiglass to cover the top of a ~2g planted tank with a 25W heater at 77-9F and no filter. Partial water change daily but otherwise water stays still. Distance between lid and water line would be approx 1". I would drill holes in the lid for air. Tank material is plastic/plexi. Tank has a female betta and maybe an adf down the road. Do you forsee any problems with this set-up? Am I asking for trouble with a heater in mostly still, covered water?

TIA.

Actually a lid on the tank is a good idea czcz. With all air breathing fish you want to keep the surface air temperature as close to the water temperature as possible. :wink:

Thanks Brian, as always :) I hoped the humidity created by the hood would benefit the betta.

"Danger" is still flashing in my head for some reason about a heater in covered still water, though I'd think the lid would keep the temperature stable as an almost closed system... if anyone sees potential problems I'd appreciate knowing. I can't shake the feeling I'm missing something.

You say it is planted, but don't mention any lighting. I would assume if there is something it is not too intense, but heat from lights could be an issue with a covered tank. Probably not though, I'm just fishing for ideas here.

I ran into a problem using plexiglass on a tank--it curled up! Granted, the piece was 2 feet long and only 5" wide.

Menagerie said:
I ran into a problem using plexiglass on a tank--it curled up! Granted, the piece was 2 feet long and only 5" wide.

Same thing happened to me - I was using thin picture frame plexi.

To avoid this, use the 1/4 inch thick plexi.

If you're doing daily water changes, I can't imaging the water getting skunky, even with a heater running. It should work out OK. Will you have gravel or sand substrate?

We didn't use picture frame plexi, it was thicker, we even glued to pieces together, it just did not stand up to the humidity :evil:

RogerMcAllen, the low light plants (java moss and anacharis) in the tank are lit from a 60w incandescent(sp) floor lamp and indirect sunlight. The plants seem okay but I don't know if they'll flourish in such conditions, but I can always replace plants with trimmings from another tank. Part of what I'd like to do is a white led array (little heat) in the plexi, simply to view the betta better. (TMI? sorry)

Menagerie, wow... I hope the hex shape of the lid will avod that problem. If not, I'm not sure if I'll try another material.

QTOFFER, thanks, thick plexi it is. Substrate is Schultz aquatic soil.

I appreciate all the information! I'll brainstorm over coffee and start the project today. I'll post an update after a few days in case you're wondering the result :)

There are many natural aquarium enthusiasts (naturalaquariums.com) who do this kind of thing, but in your case I don't see any real problems, especially with only the betta, but if you decide to get the ADF be sure there is enough O2 in the tank, which may mean providing a fluorescent fixture over the tank (could be a desk lamp with a screw-in fluoro bulb) so the plants can oxygenate the water.

Most home improvement stores will cut glass to your specs. Leave a little gap at the back, you will need it for the heater cord anyway. Plexiglass seems to have an affinity for water and wants to sag. I have heard of people doing a similar closed biosystem with a water bottle.

tankgirl, I will follow your advice about the lamp if I get an ADF. I enjoyed reading naturalaquariums.com; thanks for the link.

BASSNMAN, I went DIY instead for now. I hope the 1/4" plexi doesn't sag... we'll see.
-
The lid has turned out alright - it ain't pretty. Temp reached 81F at one point but has been steady at 76F today. I haven't drilled for LEDs yet. Betta seemed interested when the lid came on, but indiffernt now. Floated a hornwort trimming to the tank just to see if it grows. I'll borrow a camera and post pics if wanted.

Thanks again.

Plexiglass seems to have an affinity for water and wants to sag.
Lid sagged noticeably by day three. I flipped it over and left the light off (was it the heat?). Today its not quite flat. If the hex lid was a rectangle, it'd be ~9 3/4" x 6 1/4" (1/4" plexi). Failure. Maybe glass is next. It's been a pretty boring experiment. :fadein:

czcz -- I'm a little worried about a 25-watt heater in a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank. A 25-watt heater is meant for a 5 gallon tank. Here's a small bowl heater that I just found on DrsFosterSmith: Mini Heater. It says it's for glass or acrylic aquariums. I just ordered one, but it didn't come yet. I have 2 bettas, each in a 5.5 gallon tank with a 25-watt heater, but I just got a new betta. The new one is in a bowl for now until I set his new tank up, and I want him to be comfortable in the bowl, since he may be in there for a week or two, so I thought I'd give this heater a try. It does say that you can cover it completely with gravel, but then it says don't put it on the tank bottom. I will just clip it to the side of the tank, as shown in the picture.

I gave it a try with comic book protector Lexan, Brian. I'm thinking glass next if this fails, per BASSNMAN's advice. :)

An t-lasg, FWIW the 25W Marineland heater keeps a stable 78F. Still, that mini-heater is super cool and less unsightly, so now I'm going to have to order one :) I've found your Beta posts very helpfull, btw. Thanks!

You're welcome, czcz! :D My mini-heater just came today. I'm going to set it up in another bowl with a thermometer (and no fish) to give it a test run.

Back
Top Bottom