Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
Small Tanks

I must have told our son I was getting him his own tank once too many times. Last night he asked me when.

I have a 10 gallon that isn't set up, suppose to be a quaranteen tank but do to remodelling has been taken down. I think I'd like to get him a little larger tank for his room. Maybe a 20 gallon, if I changed out the set of drawers with a bureau, maybe a 20 long. I'm keeping my eye on the paper/ebay for a deal but to be honest I don't know what a deal is.

I haven't had a set up this small in a long time. I want something nicer than the sponge filter that I have for the qt. I've read about HOB filters here but have never had one.

Looking for advice on what I would need for a 20 long as far as filtration. Most likely will be fake plants, gravel substrate. I have used underground in the past but I heard that's sort of archaic right now. It'll be a community tank with most of his 'black' tetras the first inhabitants.

On a side note, when the day comes, I was thinking of tanking water from the 55g for the smaller tank. Can I jump start the cycling process by doing this. Possibly put some of the substrate in the tank as well to let it get going.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry this should be in the freshwater section... just delete it.. I'm posting a new one. Thanks

java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Old 02-02-2005, 09:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
If you are looking to re-use the canopy from the 10Gal, Perfecto makes a 16Gal tank that's much taller but the same dimensions (will reduce the cost if you already have the lid) There is also a 20 XHigh, but something about a 2' high tank with only 10" depth makes me nervous.., the 16Gal tank cost me 25$ up here, so there you'ld be looking at about 15-20$

From what I've heard/seen, if you fill the tank 100% with water from your bigger tank, it's an instantaneous cycle. but that's just from what I've seen when I set up my daughters 10Gal. (now 16) which never had to cycle.

an Aquaclear mini will do up to 20Gal, tetra 30 would work, but for cost, the Aquaclear would be the best route I'ld think.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the aquaclear filters, but after using a Mini on a 20 gallon, I decided its not enough. I run 2 Mini's on one of my 20g, and the other has an AC 150.

Now, they re-named all the AC models, so the Mini is now the AC 20 (I think).
I'd suggest the AC 30, to make sure you have enough filtration.

I think I can get 20H or 20L at my LFS for $40, and they are reasonable on their tank prices for my area.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hmmm.. not sure if I have a canopy for the 10. Since it's a qt I haven't put much money into it. Used an old air pump, etc.

I figure I'll just start a a new thread whenever I see a used system to see what people think.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
My sisters I put a Tetra Whisper 40 on it, (20 Gal) and it seems to work better then the "TopFin 30"? that looks a lot like a whisper

Bigger is better, except when you turn the tank in a torrent rapid. (unless you like hillstream loaches )
Old 02-02-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Go for the 20 long--your son will love it and the fish will appreciate the extra space to swim in. If you don't want a HOB, there are submersible filters made by Fluval and Cascade that are very nice. I like them because you don't have to cut holes in the top for the HOB and the cats can't drink from the tank

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll have to look at the submersibles. Not sure if the flow can be controlled on a HOB filter like you can with a filter. Plus I don't like seeing the mechanics.

I agree the 20 long would be nice. I haven't had a 'long' tank before but always thought they looked nice.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not sure if the flow can be controlled on a HOB
On most models you can. I know I can control the flow on the Cascade filter. My sub Fluval is little, but I'm sure flow can be controlled on the larger ones.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks like the Fluval 2 Plus Internal filter is what I'd need. Seems sort of large. I'll have to go to LFS to look at a long. Maybe they'll have the Fluval 2 and I can drop the box in the tank to see what it would look like. Oh bother. It's for my son. I shouldn't really care.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com