Small Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I must have told our son I was getting him his own tank once too many times. Last night he asked me when. :)

I have a 10 gallon that isn't set up, suppose to be a quaranteen tank but do to remodelling has been taken down. I think I'd like to get him a little larger tank for his room. Maybe a 20 gallon, if I changed out the set of drawers with a bureau, maybe a 20 long. I'm keeping my eye on the paper/ebay for a deal but to be honest I don't know what a deal is.

I haven't had a set up this small in a long time. I want something nicer than the sponge filter that I have for the qt. I've read about HOB filters here but have never had one.

Looking for advice on what I would need for a 20 long as far as filtration. Most likely will be fake plants, gravel substrate. I have used underground in the past but I heard that's sort of archaic right now. It'll be a community tank with most of his 'black' tetras the first inhabitants.

On a side note, when the day comes, I was thinking of tanking water from the 55g for the smaller tank. Can I jump start the cycling process by doing this. Possibly put some of the substrate in the tank as well to let it get going.

If you are looking to re-use the canopy from the 10Gal, Perfecto makes a 16Gal tank that's much taller but the same dimensions (will reduce the cost if you already have the lid) There is also a 20 XHigh, but something about a 2' high tank with only 10" depth makes me nervous.., the 16Gal tank cost me 25$ up here, so there you'ld be looking at about 15-20$

From what I've heard/seen, if you fill the tank 100% with water from your bigger tank, it's an instantaneous cycle. but that's just from what I've seen when I set up my daughters 10Gal. (now 16) which never had to cycle.

an Aquaclear mini will do up to 20Gal, tetra 30 would work, but for cost, the Aquaclear would be the best route I'ld think.

I like the aquaclear filters, but after using a Mini on a 20 gallon, I decided its not enough. I run 2 Mini's on one of my 20g, and the other has an AC 150.

Now, they re-named all the AC models, so the Mini is now the AC 20 (I think).
I'd suggest the AC 30, to make sure you have enough filtration.

I think I can get 20H or 20L at my LFS for $40, and they are reasonable on their tank prices for my area.

hmmm.. not sure if I have a canopy for the 10. :) Since it's a qt I haven't put much money into it. Used an old air pump, etc.

I figure I'll just start a a new thread whenever I see a used system to see what people think.

My sisters I put a Tetra Whisper 40 on it, (20 Gal) and it seems to work better then the "TopFin 30"? that looks a lot like a whisper :roll:

Bigger is better, except when you turn the tank in a torrent rapid. (unless you like hillstream loaches :D)

Go for the 20 long--your son will love it and the fish will appreciate the extra space to swim in. If you don't want a HOB, there are submersible filters made by Fluval and Cascade that are very nice. I like them because you don't have to cut holes in the top for the HOB and the cats can't drink from the tank :D

I'll have to look at the submersibles. Not sure if the flow can be controlled on a HOB filter like you can with a filter. Plus I don't like seeing the mechanics.

I agree the 20 long would be nice. I haven't had a 'long' tank before but always thought they looked nice.

Not sure if the flow can be controlled on a HOB
On most models you can. I know I can control the flow on the Cascade filter. My sub Fluval is little, but I'm sure flow can be controlled on the larger ones.

Looks like the Fluval 2 Plus Internal filter is what I'd need. Seems sort of large. I'll have to go to LFS to look at a long. Maybe they'll have the Fluval 2 and I can drop the box in the tank to see what it would look like. Oh bother. It's for my son. I shouldn't really care. :)

If you want to jump start the cycle use a handful (min) of gravel or the filter media from an established tank. Its all about seeding the bacteria colony, not the water.

Looks like the Fluval 2 Plus Internal filter is what I'd need. Seems sort of large. I'll have to go to LFS to look at a long. Maybe they'll have the Fluval 2 and I can drop the box in the tank to see what it would look like. Oh bother. It's for my son. I shouldn't really care.

I had the Fluval 2 plus internal filter in a 20 long, for my turtles. It is quite large, and the flow area is adjustable. Meaning you can point it different directions. It's also quite a small outflow hole. IMO, you might be better off with a HOB.

Back
Top Bottom