Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Small White Particles!!

Iíve read tones of posts about white cloudy water and hear that itís most likely bacteria bloom. However, Iíve tried bacteria supplements for the last few months and still I can see small white particles in the water. They look almost like small bubbles. If I do a 50% water change it looks clear as crystal for a few days then goes back. Iíve done ammonia and nitrite tests and both are very low. Nitrate gets a bit high when a water change is due but from what I understand that is to be expected. Gravel seems clean, I only keep live plans which seem to be flourishing and I keep the glass and tank equipment as clean as possible. I use bio tubes in my filter along with carbon bags, foam and wool. My external filter throughput isnít great but it came with the tank and I even added another internal filter to supplement but still no difference. Tried changing the temperature, itís currently sitting at 25/26 0c.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Iím going a bit crazy!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, the tank is ~35 gallons.

How many of each fish are in the tank?

When you say ammonia and nitrites are low what are the actual numbers? They should be zero. If not then you are still cycling. IMO, the bottled bacteria supplements are not helping you (and may actually be hindering your cycling process) and are unnecessary in a properly cycled tank. Stop using it and rely on PWCs to finish the cycle (50% daily if your ammonia or nitrites get up to 0.25ppm). The cloudiness will go away by itself.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the excellent advice. I have 9 guppy's, 8 platies and 6 cory catfish at the moment.

I'll get started with the water changes. I was always a bit worried about doing too many water changes as I didn't want to damage the bacteria in the tank or filter.

Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water changes will not hurt your cycle at all. There is a negligible amount of bacteria in water column. Do as many as necessary to keep your fish safe and healthy.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com