Small white worms came out of filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just done a water change 30-40% and turned my filter off when i was taking the water out to prevent it from burning out.

When i turned it back on once the water level was above it, about 20 small white worms came out.

Does anyone know what these are?

Worms in a FW tank????

I have heard of this happening once to a member a very long time ago (it was a brown worm I think about 3-5 inches).

I have no idea...can you give a description?

yeah well... there small and white, they wriggled about a bit there really small definately under 1 inch more like 3-5mm.

Im just wandering if there gonna harm my fish in any way

I had the same thing once, and my fish didn't mind at all, they were happy in fact, they ate all of them! Probably harmless IMO :wink:

HTH!

I think they are nematodes or planaria. They live and grow because of remains of food in the filter. I think. :wink:

I think they are nematodes or planaria. They live and grow because of remains of food in the filter. I think.

Correct. Sounds like free swimming Planaria to me. These are a common occurence in a tank that has got excess nutrients (food in the gravel, or filter housing) as is your case.

They are completely harmless, if not unsightly, but are just an indication that you need to do a little cleaning. Also fine if your fish eat them, makes for a tasty snack.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom