Small worm-like animals swimming around.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nematodes.

harmless and even provide a snack for smaller fish. No need to worry unless you hate the look o fhtem.

When I had some they had thousands of babies and I couldnt stand the site, if they're with small fish like guppies they'll get eaten right away.

I've had little worms appear in one of my tanks before. Sometimes they just float around in the water. When I got some Neon Tetras, the Neon's would eat them. I'm sure they will disappear after a while. I have no idea where they come from though.

Nematodes and free swimming planaria are caused by an overabundance of nutrients in your tank. Usually from overfeeding or underfilter/vaccuming. Make sure you keep up on regular maintenence, and you should see them go away. They can become quite unsightly, but are harmless.

Mollies LOVE THESE!! If you can't seem to rid your tank of them then get mollies.

*Edit due to good advice below: as long as they are compatible with your other fish and your filtration can keep up with the bio-load.

I would never recommend livestock to fix a problem.. its rarely wise to stock this way, incopatablity and increased bio-load are just a couple of the problems adding more fish/inverts can have.. be it algae or any other aliment the tank may have, proper maintenence is the key to a heathy tank..

Back
Top Bottom