smaller freshwater ray info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philc21

Aquarium Advice Activist
my father is looking into starting a 100g tank with a ray and maybe some other fish thatll go good with the ray the tank dimensions are 48*24*24 so hed need a smaller ray weve heard of a few small rays but dont no what the prices would be and how hardy they are motoros are supposed to be the hardiest but i dont think we could keep one in the 100g we have so were looking at these P. hystrix, P. scobinae, and P. reticulata. P. orbignyi and P. humerosa if anyone has any info on how much these cost how large they get or how hardy they are compared to other rays any help would be appreciated

teacup rays are probably your best bet. not sure of their adult size, but MAX they are probably 12 inches. i'm sure they are less than that. they're very expensive. i've seen FW rays in fish stores anywhere from 70-120 $ . if you do get a ray, make sure that 100 gallons is a large enough tank as rays need a LOT of space. also, you need sand as a substrate as they won't be able to get food/nutrients from normal gravel =]

i see alot of rays on auction at aquabid.com , most of them go for 100+ bucks. Usually they're the dotted ones. They look cool but i think they grow to about 18"

Also I find that FW rays love frozen bloodworms to start with. I also feed filleted silversides from Ocean Nutrition. If the flow is low enough you can just dose the tank with the worms. I use an eye dropper and squirt a pile just in front of the ray. In short order they usually start to jump on the pile or the dropper.
And for the cost make sure the things eats before you buy it. Most LFS will feed high priced FW fish for you prior to purchase.
JMO HIH
S

Most LFS will feed ANY fish prior to your purchase if you ask.

I just had the LFS feed a 3 dollar pl*co the other day, just because I wanted to make sure of a food response and healthy eating before I bought him.

Back
Top Bottom