smallest cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubble bobble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be adding a school of cory cats to a 37 gal(tall) community tank. in order to have a decent size school, with the least impact on the bioload, so i can still accomodate other things on the stocking list, I am looking for the smallest species of corydoras. I am aware of the 2 dwarf species, habrosus, and the other whose name i can;t remember, that stay under an inch, but I'm not interested in them because they are mid-water swimmers, I am looking for the typical bottom dwelling cory behaviour.

so far the 2 species I am looking at are the skunk cory and the panda cory. I am having trouble finding reliable information, for these 2 species i see reports from 1.5 to 2.5 inches for their length... does anyone know which species stay the smallest? (and hopefully arent too rare & expensive)

thanks

GlitcH-are yours fraidy cats? Mine are very spooky and hide 90% of the time. They do stay on the bottom most of the time, too

I have a mature Panda that is no more than two inches and I'd venture to say a little less. He won't hold still while I measure him, something about being out of the water I guess...lol. Kidding.

I will also say, my Albinos are just a tad bigger so those could be a consideration as well if you like them.

plecoperson said:
GlitcH-are yours fraidy cats? Mine are very spooky and hide 90% of the time. They do stay on the bottom most of the time, too

Mine are pretty bold considering their size.
I see them push right past my rosy barbs[the most agressive fish in my setup] to get to sinking pellets.

The only fish in my tank that get spooked when someone walks by are the dwarf rainbows. But my tank is in the living room 2 feet from the main traffic area so they all get use to the movement/noise pretty quick.

that's interesting about the pygmies, i always read they were mid-water dwelling.

I think I might pick up some corydoras melini i saw at the lfs store, as the pygmy's may be too small: i forgot to mention they will be in a 24" deep tank, sharing it with an angel, and hopefully in the future one or more apistogramma cacatuoides.

Mine do occasionally swim in midwater. It's a riot-they sorta just hover there, motionless (other than wildly vibrating fins), then dart back down, or to the top for a gulp of air and then back down. I think they are miiighhhty cute, when I can see them!

Back
Top Bottom