Smallest fancy goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I think the guy posting it said it was a ranchu but they are suppose to have a wen.
Honestly one in an 18g would be fine for 6-12 months but you'd have to look into upgrading after that. IME they do much better with another Goldie for company so a larger tank would make that possible. I run over 10x an hour filtration on my goldfish tank. Anything less than 8x an hour IMO isn't sufficient.

Last edited:
The O.P. Question #1 was what is the smallest breed? I musta had a brain freeze. I forgot to mention a breed called the "china doll" or "Tai doll". These are rare and come with their fair share of health problems but they are an option....
I agree w/mumma. Goldfish are one of the most social fish around and definitely would do better in the company of another.

I agree with both Mumma and Cichlid Kid.

According to articles I've read, goldfish are not schooling fish...

But don't tell it to my goldies!

They're all little now, but I have four of them. I call them the Four Musketeers, because they are almost always hanging out in the same part of the tank together.

And if one of them does peel off from the group, one of the others almost invariably follows (if not all of them). It's fun to watch a line of goldfish, one behind the other, swimming from one side of the tank to the other.

I don't think that goldfish will have the stress a true schooling fish like a Tetra will have when kept alone, so they can be kept alone, but in my opinion and based on my goldies, they really do like company.

Best!

I dont even know a US breeder that breeds these guys! Your probably looking at $150+ per fish. I think the OP is trying to manage a goldfish tank within budget constrictions, so this may be a bit difficult to consider. In case it hasnt been mentioned, I believe Petco is having its $1/g sale now. Something in addition to craigslist to consider (if in the US). And I agree with with both Mumma & Cichlid Kid- goldfish are VERY social animals & love company of another. :)

So - then I would need a 30 gallon tank for two fish and all the work that goes with it? Getting out of my comfort zone there. And out of budget.

I already have a small fresh tank that I am finally happy with. This would be fish tank #2 with a hermit tank in the house as well. The 18 really suits my purpose right now. Two-bucket water changes on that and one-bucket on the other will be enough each week.

Reading more on the Ryukins and will see if my LFS carries them so I can see them in person.

Thanks so much all!

So - then I would need a 30 gallon tank for two fish and all the work that goes with it? Getting out of my comfort zone there. And out of budget.

I already have a small fresh tank that I am finally happy with. This would be fish tank #2 with a hermit tank in the house as well. The 18 really suits my purpose right now. Two-bucket water changes on that and one-bucket on the other will be enough each week.

Reading more on the Ryukins and will see if my LFS carries them so I can see them in person.

Thanks so much all!

If having only one or two fish (and the work and extra cost) in a 30 gallon tank is out of your comfort zone and budget, Ryunkin goldfish might not be the best choice for you. They have pretty much the same tank size and filtration requirements as any other fancy goldfish.

Not trying to steer you away from Ryunkins -- I love goldfish, but in my opinion you'd still be looking at a stocking level of 1 to 2 fish with 2x filtration.

Good luck with your choice!

My plan is just the one fish in an 18 with a larger filter and weekly water changes while checking ammonia levels. I can't get a python so the water changes on a 30 gallon tank would make me crazy. Too many buckets at one time!

Since I still have some followers - the next question is about substrate: bare bottom? small gravel? large gravel? rocks? how deep? other ideas for the bottom?

Your choice! Sand (which i love for my goldies because its easy to clean & debris doesnt get trapped like gravel), large gravel (quarter-size or larger) or bare bottom. No small gravel- goldies will choke on it in their search for food. :)

Another question I found while reading up again today - I have always used HOB filters but there were places suggesting using a canister filter to get the turn over without the water current that could bother longer finned fish. I know nothing about canisters. Opinions? Tips? Cost? Would this type of filter work in an 18 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sized footprint?

Then back to my original question: which one? There is differing information on the net but as far as I can tell, of the ones I actually like, the smaller ones seem to be the fantail, maybe the oranda, veiltail, possibly the lionchu, and maybe the ranchu. The max size numbers for some of these are a little all over the place, that is why I come here to find out what the truth is.

I hear you, and you're right, max size numbers do differ based on the source.

Based on my reading (and I have goldfish, so have read more about them than any other fish), fancies are all of the same general size. Ordinarily growing to somewhere around the 6 to 8 inch mark, not counting finnage (which can be long) -- though some individuals are smaller and some larger based on individual genetics, food, water quality, and environment.

In terms of tank size and filtration requirements, everything I've read suggests they are all very similar too.

I am sorry that I don't have a definitive 'this is the smallest fancy goldfish variety' answer for you.

Based on my reading, and the similarities, if you decide on goldfish, I think you should just pick the one that you like best based on aesthetics and care requirements as while generally hearty, some fancy goldfish varieties are heartier than others.

Good luck!

Just so you know... The 30 gallon would only be one extra bucket per PWC if you do 50% a week. You could even still use the less expensive AC50 (at 200 gph) and get over 6.5 times turnover. Or you could jump up to the AC70 (at 300 gph) for 10 times turnover. Just saying... It is not that much more work and the added water volume would mean a more stabile environment and you could have two Goldies. Yay!

Not trying to harp on you here, just trying to make a clarification that a 30 gallon tank is really not any more work than the 18.

Will it make you feel better if I say I will consider it?

I have two kids and not a lot of extra time and money. The good news is that, one way or another, this is not something I will even be considering until Christmas or even after the beginning of the year.

I will think on it. But, I have to do what works best and feels right for me. Right now, that feels like the 18.

Back
Top Bottom