Smallest Wet Pet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadofthehills

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the smallest wet pet there is? I can have fish in college, but I dont want a 55, I am not sure if there is a maximum tank size, but I think a 55 would be pushing it lol...

smallest fish your going to find are going to be guppys, neons and maybe rasbora's. The smallest fish including the tank to put around them is going to be a betta. Personally I'd suggest against the Betta bowls, but the 2.5 gallon betta tanks are real nice with filter/heater. That'd be the smallest freshwater setup I could think of.

Big Al's had a 1 gallon saltwater reef setup in the store last week, but I know squat about saltwater so I couldn't tell you what corals/fish were in it. Was seriously tiny and cool lookin though.

Plenty of folks here are running tanks at or under 20 gal. I would venture to guess that most start the hobby in the 5-10 gallon range (or, heaven forbid, a bowl).

I've got a 1/2 gallon "tank" on my office desk that's outfitted with a 7W 7200k light (I removed the reflector to reduce the output to a manageable level), a Red Sea HOB nano filter, 1" of Eco-Complete substrate, a java fern and a few small cuttings of Anacharis, and a single male Betta. The lamp keeps the water about 6 degrees above ambient (81, in this case). The filter only has simple sponge media, but it works quietly and has adjustable flow. The live plants, porous substrate, and sponges together should make for a nice biological filter.

The whole setup is only 7" x 7" and about 14" tall (Counting the light, which is about 7" above the tank). I paid $21 for the tank/light/filter.

While you can find smaller vase-type setups, they are really too small for even the smallest of fish.

If you look around the gallery, you can find some really gorgeous five and/or ten gallon setups.

A betta in a 5 gallon Eclipse type setup would be the easiest and most entertaining. It would be easiest to move but also enough room to do plants if u want.

i have my beeta in a 2 1/2 gallon eclips tank and he does very well. i was just thinking about planting it a little to make it more interesting. but 5 gallon would be much better and they are very versatile as to what u can do for decorating. one of the best tanks i have ever seen was an 8 gallon planted tank.

Ah, I believe I should have explained myself a little better :)

By wet pet, I mean doggy like, like an oscar or midas, etc. lol

I already have 55g mbuna tank, 30g angel tank, and 2.5 planted white cloud tank :) Plus a male midas in a 90 :)

My midas is/was my favorite, he WAS in the 55, but moved him to the 90 at my highschool where I go in early to do water changes and feed him NLS while the other fish all get a water change every few months and tetramin lol...

I plan on one bigger wet pet tank, and then a bunch of small 10gs.

you said smallest.. what do you mean by wet? I still don't understand.

Wet pet normally refers to a single fish that interacts with the owner, taking food from your hand, following you around the room, possibly even letting you pet it. Many large scouth/central american cichlids fit this description. I wanna know the smallest of these wet pets :) I guessw the term is more popular over on cichlid-forum.com... lol

any of them would take traning to behave that way..

and the first one that I can think of "small" that I have kept would be a texas firemouth and its not all that small..

(Another cichlid-forum member here)
IMO the smallest wet pet would have to be a dwarf SA puffer. After they get used to the tank and the foot traffic of the room their in they will take worms and shrimp right from your fingertips without a problem. Or you could roll the dice, set up a 2 gallon Salt tank and get a cleaner shrimp :p

If you want something that you can pet, I dont think most fish liked to be pet, unless you did it 100 times a day without killing it. I would get a salmander or newt. They stay small, you can hold, and you can make its home look cool with rocks, plants, and wood.

I can, Ive had them when I was a child. I had a tiger salamander for over 3 years, and Ive held that one daily. Of course I washed my hands before and after touching any pet.

Tiger salamanders live for more than 10 years. Touching slamanders is very harmful to them. THe oils and such in your skin damage their sensitive membranes. They actaully breath through their skin, especially the lungless salamnaders. While Tiger salamanders are mole salamanders, touching thier skin is still VERY harmful.

They didnt seem to mind, they were eating and doing their thing like nothing was wrong. I kept it for 3 years and gave it to my cousin, and he held it for a while too. I think its fine as long as you wash your hands beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom