smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiefs101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 29 gallon has been running for about 4 days now. I walked into feed my fish this morning and it had a bad sent. I think this is being caused by high ammonia. Is there anything that i can do to lower it.

It probably is. I would recommend buying yourself a test kit and posting the results here. For now though you should be doing regular pwc to keep the ammonia and nitrite down!

It is most important to do water changes at least every second day. If your ammonia is high you may have to do water changes every day. How many and what kind of fish do you have in it? As recommended you need to get a test kit ASAP.

I doubt that the tank smells so bad like ammonia with the fishes still alive in it. Still, change about 50% of the water today and then again 50% tomorrow to be on the safe side. And get a test kit as soon as possible, so you will see now and in the future (your tank still has to cycle) how high the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) are. Your fishes can die quickly if the ammonia or nitrite levels are too high and then they might just be swimming with their bellies up one morning.

Did you read anything about cycling a tank with fish in it yet?

Back
Top Bottom