Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B Letz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I might want to put a snail in my tank. I have a 10 gallon tank. I have 3 guppies (1 Male and 2 Female) and 1 African Dwarf Frog. I don't want it to breed. The main question I have will it get along with my Frog? If it will work I keep hearing about Apple Snail is that a good one. Also I don't want it to get huge.

Thanks

Bruce

Mystery snails are a good choice since they have males and female. Many snails are hermaphroditic. If you get just one mystery snail it can't reproduce. They get to be about the size of a quarter, maybe a little larger. Here is a good website on aquarium snails http://www.applesnail.net/ HTH.

I would also suggest mystery snails. I have 4 and love them just as much as my fish, actually I can watch my snails for hours. They are very interesting. They do not look like typical snails. They also dont get really big. I did a general search on-line before I bought them, there is lots of info out there on these guys!
hth
And if you get one, I hope you enjoy it as I do mine :D

If you do, make sure your hood is secured with no opening big enough for the snail to get through. I have heard of some stories where the snails end up outside the tank.

Hello,

Today I went out got a black mystrey snail. I was told by the cleark at the store that all snail breed by themself. I have been told by many of the owners on the interent that they don't so I'm going by the users. Also my tank dosn't have algae in the tank. So what do I need to feed them. Thanks for all of your help.

Thanks,

Bruce

I would have suggested Gold Inca snails [ Sold as Gold Mysteries often times ] Their a much more beautiful specimen IMHO.

But as far as feeding, Boiled cuccumber or zuccini, or algae waffers [ Personally, I prefer hikari brand, as do my fish and snails ].

You shouldn't worry to much on a tight fitting hood, they rarely venture out of the tank, and msot openings in the standard plastic hood arn't large enough for a store-sized snail to escape through anyways.

and if you should ever find them on the carpet, they should be fine as long as they pulled their door shut. I heard a story about someone whos morning routin included going to their tank every morning to pick up one particularly quirky snail and ploink it back in the tank.

Hello,

I got a small snail. The question I have. Do the shells grow as they get bigger or do you have to get new ones for them. Also when I feed them should I do when the lights are off so they get the food; rather then the other fish or when the lights are on.

Thanks

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom