snail and shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just finished my fishless cycle about four days ago. I wana keep a little i guess diary. Of the purchasing, feeding, and care taking of the snails and shrimp.

Today i will be buying two to three mystery snails, and my 30 RCS was shipped yesterday!!!:)

I will post a picutre of my tank later on. And during the acclimation process.

sdrone said:
So, question. How does one introduce snails to a tank?

Do you just drop 'em in?

Do you stick 'em to the glass?

I assume they can crawl across sands?

I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a trail nerite snail to work on my algae.

Im aclimating mine like a fish right now. Pictures up soon.

When done i think im going to just set them on the gravel next to eachother(they seems to like eachother at the store and theyre shells looked the healthyest) and so since they know eachother and dont onowntheyre enviornment i think setting them next to eachother may help.

siva said:
You acclimiate them same as fish then set them in. Sands, yes.

Momo what size tank do you have? I ask because I wouldn't keep than many mystery snails in a small tank. They are turbo poop machines.

Ten gal. Only two snails.

These are my snails:) just picked them up twenty minutes ago. Im not sure but i think you have to be eighteen to buy fish... Ha! Acclimating just fine i think.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110502_151746.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110502_151746.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 124
  • ForumRunner_20110502_151757.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110502_151757.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 117
I have a question for you snail people. I have a gold and a black mystery snail. The gold ones mor active and loves moving and keeps messing the the black one while hes snoozing. Is it harrassment or playfull?

It's likely mating behavoir. Do you know if you have a male and female? Have you seen the snorkel yet? To breathe, they will extend their snorkel. To sex them, look inside their shell, the males have a penis on the opposite side of their snorkel. Sometimes when their mating is almost looks like they are pulling eachother out of their shells. They are quite passionate LOL ;)

Cool blue tank. I think cherry shrimp will look really neat in there. I think sunkist shrimp would be a nice addition maybe as well :)

siva said:
Cool blue tank. I think cherry shrimp will look really neat in there. I think sunkist shrimp would be a nice addition maybe as well :)

Thank you:]

and i was wathcing these guys for about five minutes befor i bought them. I know the black one is male fore sure. (mating with another snail) and im pretty sure the gold one is to... But cant be positive.

Yeah they are scavengers..they'll eat about anything.

Ahh, alright good. because i cycled my tank with a frozen shrimp and it was still in there (just a tiny peice) and one of them started munching on it. to be honest it was kinda nasty.

Also, would RCS do somthing like that?

Shrimp came in today!!!

only thing i didnt think about is to get panty hose to cover the intake of both of my HOB filiters... haha

off to the store later on. i wana take a picture but i highly doubt you will be able to see them in the aclimation tub

Is there any other way to cover the intake valves other then panty hose?

You can stick sponges into the tubes. It cuts the flow rate a bit, but I've heard alot of people have good success. I've never really had a problem with my shrimp getting sucked up/caught myself so I generally don't worry about it in my normal tanks but I was planning to work something out for the shrimp tank I'm doing for my fiancee when we get back.

You can stick sponges into the tubes. It cuts the flow rate a bit, but I've heard alot of people have good success. I've never really had a problem with my shrimp getting sucked up/caught myself so I generally don't worry about it in my normal tanks but I was planning to work something out for the shrimp tank I'm doing for my fiancee when we get back.

What type of sponges do you know?

momo said:
What type of sponges do you know?

I've got some juvie RCS that I worry about getting sucked up. I just took some of that blue filter media and wrapped it around the intake with a rubber band. Basically any fine filter media works great. Just make sure it doesn't get clogged with debris or it's bad for the filter motor. Even if you only have the cartridge filters, take a pair of scissors, cut out the size you need and dump out the carbon :)

I've got some juvie RCS that I worry about getting sucked up. I just took some of that blue filter media and wrapped it around the intake with a rubber band. Basically any fine filter media works great. Just make sure it doesn't get clogged with debris or it's bad for the filter motor. Even if you only have the cartridge filters, take a pair of scissors, cut out the size you need and dump out the carbon :)

Thats a great idea! i never thought of that. will be doing it for sure, with the slots in the intake on one of my filters, i worried about some of the bigger ones too!

Thanks once again eco!

momo said:
Thats a great idea! i never thought of that. will be doing it for sure, with the slots in the intake on one of my filters, i worried about some of the bigger ones too!

Thanks once again eco!

Happy to help. I added 20 RCS (mostly juvies) and I've only seen one or two in the month I've had them. Maybe they'll pop out of the grass in a while once they're bigger...I'm pretty sure a few of them ended up as a snack though.

Happy to help. I added 20 RCS (mostly juvies) and I've only seen one or two in the month I've had them. Maybe they'll pop out of the grass in a while once they're bigger...I'm pretty sure a few of them ended up as a snack though.

bummer, they are so full of life. i talked to the LFS and they said that would buy them off of me when i start breeding them. when they sell them, they sell that at almost 5$ EA, since no one around here breeds them. maybe ill be able to get 2$ a pop for em!

Back
Top Bottom