Snail clutches oh my..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco

Aquarium Advice Freak
I received a package of snails from a breeder a couple of days ago.. little did i know that the biggest one was already mated.. found a nice surprise this morning when i went to open the hood in the form of a pinkish peachy colored egg clutch.

As i dont care for more snails than what i have i promptly disposed of the eggs. I felt kind of bad but honestly i dont have the space to breed snails, nor the desire to have that many. I think its best for everyone. Although i will say i was cringing a bit when i took the clutch off and heard little crackling noises.

The other snails are far too young to breed or lay eggs so i am assuming that the larger one just came mated.

Anyhow thats my exciting morning :D I took some photos before i got rid of the clutch if anyone wants to see i can post.

-Pleco

Great that they bred, but shame you werent able to keep them :(
I'm trying desperately to get my ramshorns to breed so I can feed the babies to my puffer fish (dont hate me), but I must be the ONLY person on the planet who is unable to get them to do that!!! lol!

I've got some eager ramshorns for you if you want them! ;) In my case, I can't get my MTS to reproduce.

Edit - and my mystery snails won't breed either. I think I always wind up with groups of the same gender. Shame on you Pleco! You should share the wealth! :)

Actually, I think that's backwards. The ramshorns are hermaphrodites, and I have kept a single ramshorn alone multiple times without it spontaneously generating babies (they like it the old fashioned way, believe me). It's the Melanoides that are asexual, which is what I have, but I'm not sure if they're the same as MTS. I occasionally see little babies, but they never make it to maturity.

If there is a safe way to ship egg clutches i would be more than willing to send them to interested parties for shipping/handeling cost only.

Here is what the clutch looked like.

snail_eggs.JPG

-Pleco

Pleco said:
If there is a safe way to ship egg clutches i would be more than willing to send them to interested parties for shipping/handeling cost only.

-Pleco

Clutches are easy to ship. Just wrap them in a barely damp paper towel or bit of filter floss, put them in a plastic baggie and then into a well padded box. Priority mail takes 2-3 days and generally runs $4.05 for a small box. Mail on a Mon or Tues if you can so they don't spend the weekend in a truck somewhere, and don't mail if it is going to get below 40ish.

does that really matter if its 40'ish, as most planes cargo compartments arent pressurized and get freezing?

Back
Top Bottom